Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the cv shafts on a 96 honda, but I can't get the lower ball joint out of the knuckle. I've tried hitting on the control arm, but it's not coming out. Any help would be much appreciated. Is there a special tool used?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. If i go with the ratchet, where would I place it to seperate the ball joint from the knuckle. Sorry I'm new at this but I can't picture how to use it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Listen, I almost gave up on that too with the hammer. My suggestion is get some Liquid Wrench and soak it down. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, then start banging away again on that ball joint. At first when I did it I was timid and not hitting it hard enough thinking that I would break it. However, think about how much weight is on that joint and then get medevil with it...

Let us know...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Did you crack the ball joint boot? If so did you replace the ball joint and check all threads before you re-torqued to spec? Ball joints are easy but looking at people stuck on the side of the road from a lower ball joint failure isn't a laughing matter. If a ball joint goes out you can be in some serious shit bro.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
96hnda said:
Thanks for the help. If i go with the ratchet, where would I place it to seperate the ball joint from the knuckle. Sorry I'm new at this but I can't picture how to use it.
watch the video, you can see where the ratchet is right when the jack drops. it has to be a box end though.

if the ball joint separator you got is the pickle fork kind, those things tear up ball joints like crazy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are a genius. Happy to have stumbled on this via Google, 3 years later no less ..

watch the video, you can see where the ratchet is right when the jack drops. it has to be a box end though.

if the ball joint separator you got is the pickle fork kind, those things tear up ball joints like crazy.

I spent a couple hours spraying PB blaster, beating the crap out of the control arm, jacking it up, and for the life of me I couldn't find leverage or break lose my right ball joint -- it is the original on an '84 civic 1500s, so no surprise there - It was a nightmare getting the axle nut off on the same side as well.

It was a tight fit with the 1/2 ratchet handle, but worked like a charm without tearing up the boot and had it off in about 2 minutes.

You are a flocking genius!

:clappy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.