Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using a set of 12-13" jack stands, would that put a 6G high enough to remove the tranny from under the car? Or at least enough to drop the tranny and move it enough out of the way to do a new rear main seal and fw and clutch?

· Registered
19 Posts
yea thats enough but i would throw some spare tires under each side behind the jackstands that way if it falls you wont get crushed.... me and my bro swapped my stock 4-speed to a 5 speed si tranny in 4 hours in the middle of the night with a lamp from the house using 13' jackstands ... and those tires saved my life while i was unhooking the shift linkcage... the only thing is when your putting the tranny back it can be a little hard to lift the tranny back up when the car is setting that low.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
yea thats enough but i would throw some spare tires under each side behind the jackstands that way if it falls you wont get crushed.... me and my bro swapped my stock 4-speed to a 5 speed si tranny in 4 hours in the middle of the night with a lamp from the house using 13' jackstands ... and those tires saved my life while i was unhooking the shift linkcage... the only thing is when your putting the tranny back it can be a little hard to lift the tranny back up when the car is setting that low.
ive had the same problem. a skinny kid can benchpress it while the other guy puls it up from the top. thats how we didi it.

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone used any product for conditioning main seals etc with success? The guy at the auto store told me that it's probably worse for the engine than just letting it leak and that he wouldn't put any of those products in his engine.

Just wondering.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
IMO, for what its worth, get a hoist and lift the whole motor/transaxle out.

Far easier to do that kinda thing from outside the engine bay than in. Not to mention, you dont need to spend hours on your back, and its safer being above or not under the car most of the time. A d-series is farily simple to take out and put in, I'd just pull the motor, do your seals, drop it all back in.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
IMO, for what its worth, get a hoist and lift the whole motor/transaxle out.

Far easier to do that kinda thing from outside the engine bay than in. Not to mention, you dont need to spend hours on your back, and its safer being above or not under the car most of the time. A d-series is farily simple to take out and put in, I'd just pull the motor, do your seals, drop it all back in.
hes right man....we did this shit with no hiost if you have access to one then definatly use it haha but if you dont. then have fun doin backyard style

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.