Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a h22a swap done and the 3rd and 5th gears are starting to grind. What would be the best way to go, just replace the whole tranny or replace the syncros? Not necessarily the cheapest way, just the right way. I dont want to replace the whole tranny if the syncros are easy and cheaper to fix. get my drift?

Cory

· Registered
1,328 Posts
I have a h22a swap done and the 3rd and 5th gears are starting to grind. What would be the best way to go, just replace the whole tranny or replace the syncros? Not necessarily the cheapest way, just the right way. I dont want to replace the whole tranny if the syncros are easy and cheaper to fix. get my drift?

Cory
guessing from the question asked, you will not be doing the work so i'd say replace the tranny. labor for tranny rebuilding is not cheap and finding a new tranny with a warranty would be the way to go.

· Registered
2,806 Posts
Have you tried Synchromesh yet? I would try that before spending a grip on tranny. I prefer the Pennzoil variant, the Royal Purple didn't stop the synchro-gring as well....

· Registered
20,101 Posts
dont waste your money on a fluid that your trans isn't meant to use, honda MTF is what the transmission is designed to use. also if you have 2 gears grinding and not all of them then it is obviously not a fluid problem

don't be like these other fools that sack ride syncromesh because they don't understand the name.

look for a replacement trans, and call a few dealers, and any local shops that people can vouch for in your area for an estimate and see what is cheaper.

then fill it with honda MTF, not some trans fluid for a chevy cavalier

· Registered
1,328 Posts
dont waste your money on a fluid that your trans isn't meant to use, honda MTF is what the transmission is designed to use. also if you have 2 gears grinding and not all of them then it is obviously not a fluid problem

don't be like these other fools that sack ride syncromesh because they don't understand the name.

look for a replacement trans, and call a few dealers, and any local shops that people can vouch for in your area for an estimate and see what is cheaper.

then fill it with honda MTF, not some trans fluid for a chevy cavalier
thank you!!!:number1 i wouldnt use anything else other than honda mtf. i dont know if any of you have heard of tage? Tage's Transmissions but he's a honda builder/racer who's been killing the super lap times in the west with a built 250whp gsr civic hatch. even beat a r35! anywho, he builds trannys and pretty much knows his shit and says the same thing. i think the gsr just recently blew so he might be using a donated k20 from his first sponser, kaaz. he pretty much paid, built, and raced everything himself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.