Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a noob here, and I've looked around for past threads on this topic but can't seem to find anything...

I have a friend who's a mechanic that's going to help me replace my timing belt. Since I have to replace the cam seals can I also install new cam sprockets easily? I'm assuming I have to remove the sprockets in order to install the seals, so can I install AEM cam gears (or another brand, if anyone has experience w/these please let me know) since I'm replacing the seals? I don't plan on changing the timing yet, but since I'm in there I figure I might as well upgrade the sprockets as well. Is it any easy swap or are there other issues?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

blue meanie -- thanks, i'll definitely make sure to do that. do you have cam gears installed? if so, what brand do you have and do you recommend them?

mactown-- getting an upgraded camshaft w/adjustable gears would definitely be better and allows for greater tuning range b/c the lobe profiles are more aggressive, w/the added +/-10 degrees from the adjustable gears, but just having the adjustable gears alone also helps as well...correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought just by retarding/advancing the timing w/adjustable gears can increase horsepower w/the stock camshafts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input guys...

i don't plan on tuning it on a dyno yet, but just setting everything to 0 on the cams and installing them. there shouldn't be any change in performance w/these cams if i haven't changed the timing right? (just wondering if the adj cams would be lighter and if that would help at all)

·
Registered
17 Posts
97,i just got mine.actually just signing papers on it today.but adjustable cam gears are also usually lighter than the stock ones.resulting in less rotational mass,resulting in freed up horsepower. :D so,no its not pointless to have them if you dont have performance cams.i thought about getting some for my miata just for the weight savings.but at 250 bucks a pop,i decided i didnt need them that much yet. :cry

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i was thinking the lighter weight should free up some horsepower, just wondering how much and if i would notice it...aem cam gears are going for about 140-150 a piece, so still pretty pricey at 300, but i figure while i'm in there i should do it now. so far i've got aem cai, greddy sp exhaust, tein springs, and kyb agx shocks...i can feel my clutch starting to slip so will probably upgrade that along w/a lighter flywheel.

what year prelude did you pick up and is it base or sh? post some pics when you get it if you can. is it stock or are there mods on it already? and also what are you planning for it?

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Well if you are seriously looking into doing a swap, i have a set of AEM cam gears i'll sell to you for $100 shipped as long as you send me your OEM ones. They're the 3 bolt pattern and are red, i'm basically making my motor as stock as possible again for race season and class issues. If you are interested, my email address is [email protected]. Let me know

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.