Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

replacing door lock actuator

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dljohnson 
#1 ·
Hey gang,

My driver's rear door lock actuator has gone out. I got the door panel off, removed the three screws that hold the lock in and got the lock assembly loose but it's trapped by the window track. I don't want to force it out and risk bending the window track and I don't have a service manual handy so I figured I'd give the forum a shot.

So......if anyone out there has done this fix and can give me some play-by-play, I'd be mucho grateful!

Thanks!:D

#2 ·
Hey Dolo,

I've done this about 10 times now. You must remove the window track to remove the door latch and actuator assembly. Roll up your window first. It's pretty easy. Just remove the one bolt (behind the door panel) and the track will slide off the rubber weathering. To reinstall, reinsert the weathering push the track back inline with the other track, reinsert bolt. Now, after you have removed the 3 bolts holding the latch assembly to the door, the assembly is still connected to the interior and exterior latches. Remove both of these by swinging the plastic cover piece around and gently pop out the metal rods. You should be able to take the latch/actuator assembly out of the door. Now just unscrew the metal bracket holding the actuator, and press back the plastic clips - you should now be able to remove the actuator. Pop the new one in, and reverse for install.

Hope the helps, -JR

Honda dealership tried to charge me $350 for this part installed. After you do 1 or 2, you could probably fix this in under 30 minutes, working at full speed. Shame on you honda dealership!

#4 ·
Hey Dolo,

I've done this about 10 times now. You must remove the window track to remove the door latch and actuator assembly. Roll up your window first. It's pretty easy. Just remove the one bolt (behind the door panel) and the track will slide off the rubber weathering. To reinstall, reinsert the weathering push the track back inline with the other track, reinsert bolt. Now, after you have removed the 3 bolts holding the latch assembly to the door, the assembly is still connected to the interior and exterior latches. Remove both of these by swinging the plastic cover piece around and gently pop out the metal rods. You should be able to take the latch/actuator assembly out of the door. Now just unscrew the metal bracket holding the actuator, and press back the plastic clips - you should now be able to remove the actuator. Pop the new one in, and reverse for install.

Hope the helps, -JR

Honda dealership tried to charge me $350 for this part installed. After you do 1 or 2, you could probably fix this in under 30 minutes, working at full speed. Shame on you honda dealership!
Hey gang,

My driver's rear door lock actuator has gone out. I got the door panel off, removed the three screws that hold the lock in and got the lock assembly loose but it's trapped by the window track. I don't want to force it out and risk bending the window track and I don't have a service manual handy so I figured I'd give the forum a shot.

So......if anyone out there has done this fix and can give me some play-by-play, I'd be mucho grateful!

Thanks!:D

I think WD40 can help also. It just saves my day rather than visiting my mechanic. Maybe it's just my luck? That is still better than replacing parts.

#3 ·
Thanks for the play by play! I googled after starting this post and found that it can be done without taking the track out but I think I'll go with your route. I think if I tried the other way, I'd ending braking a mounting clip or SOMETHING. Gonna tackle it this weekend when I get some free time. My truck needed attention this past weekend.

Can't wait til I get all these bugs worked out of these vehicles!!! Serves me right for getting two used vehicles within months of each other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.