Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'll be doing my brakes pretty soon and the last time I was poking around under my car I noticed that a majority of my suspension bushings were cracked and trashed. So since I figure I'll be taking my wheals, brakes and what not off anyways, I might as well have at it.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any info that may help me out with this. I've never done much with my suspension, so this is all new territory to me. I've got the service manual, but additional info is always appreciated. I've searched the threads, but didn't come up with anything too specific.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I would recommend getting a polyurethane kit, wwww.suspension.com , rather than buying separate OEM rubber bushings. You are going to have to rent a tie rod pulling tool. Most tool rental or auto parts will have this tool to rent. You'll need that to get to the tie rod bushings.

You'll want to get a wheel alignment after doing this so don't forget to pre-mark the location of the tie rods so when you put things back on, it will be close to what it was before you took them off.

You might as well replace your struts at the same time if your car still has the original struts on them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's quite a helpful website! Thank you for sharing. And I agree with swapping out my struts. I'm not quite sure if there OEM, but even if there not, I've put a lot of miles on my car since the previous owner. Thanks for the help! ...And I think I have a tie rod puller in my garage, not sure though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question; The previous owner put lowering springs on the car, does this effect my decision when I buy new struts? Or can I just go ahead and buy normal struts that match the OEM specs? Also, how long do springs usually last? Mine have at least 50,000 miles on them.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Suspension bushes consist of a metal sleeve and rubber materials. The rubber is bonded over the metal sleeve. To reduce shock and vibration in the parts of the car, rubber bushings are used which acts as an Anti Vibration Mount component. The rubber used may be a hard rubber or silicone rubber. Suspension bushes must be replaced well before it is worn out and must be kept in new conditon. Before worn out bushes can give uncomfort in driving on road and damage to car tyres and braking system too.

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
Dude.... this thread's from 2012...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts