Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Report: Wii Marketplace In the Works

According to remarks made by Mark Cale, CEO of System 3 (a developer best known for classic Commodore 64 and Amiga games), Nintendo is preparing to launch a new downloadable games service within two months to complement its Virtual Console. More within...

Nintendo's Virtual Console has been a popular service for Wii owners, providing older gamers a chance to relive some of the classics (and younger gamers a chance to experience them a first time) on platforms like NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. As great as this portfolio of catalog titles is, however, Nintendo is sitting on a real opportunity to use the Wii to offer other new and original digital download titles, much like Microsoft has been doing with Xbox Live Arcade and Sony with its PlayStation Network Store.

Well, according to comments made by System 3 CEO Mark Cale, Nintendo is indeed readying a new digital download service for the Wii. Speaking to Palgn, Cale indicated that System 3's upcoming Impossible Mission would be one of the first Wii titles not only available at retail, but also for digital download. "...we're going to be exploring what Nintendo can actually do in terms of downloadable content, and see if it can match Xbox Live," he said.

We always assumed that Nintendo would simply expand its Wii Shop/Virtual Console to eventually include new titles, but according to Cale Nintendo will launch a new service in the coming months. "I wouldn't say Virtual Console, because they're not actually calling it the Virtual Console, but in the next few months there will be various announcements I'm sure made by Nintendo that will offer users a system that will be similar to that of what Microsoft is offering at present, which is the ability to download content," he explained.

He added, "Microsoft are years ahead of the other two major players in that regard. It really depends on when Nintendo are rolling out their strategy, which I expect will be within the next two months. At the moment we are focused on the retail launch and when Nintendo open up their services, what we've done is that we've made a commitment to try and make sure that the product is going to be one of the first products that can independently be brought away from the Virtual Console."

As Cale pointed out, Microsoft has been way ahead in the online department, and Nintendo in particular has really lagged behind. The sooner that Nintendo can offer more online gameplay and features in addition to more downloadable games and content the better. Nintendo already has an advantage with WiiConnect24 enabling the console to remain connected at all times (even when powered off), so the company ought to start making better use of it.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
God I can't wait. I've got a few VC games, but the ones I want aren't out yet, and there really isn't much on the Wii that I enjoy playing outside of Wario Ware and soon Mario Party 8.

Sounds good :w00tz

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tha_con said:
God I can't wait. I've got a few VC games, but the ones I want aren't out yet, and there really isn't much on the Wii that I enjoy playing outside of Wario Ware and soon Mario Party 8.

Sounds good :w00tz

What titles are you still waiting on? I still want a few...I'm really craving Super Mario RPG at this point...

But anyways I agree Wario Ware is awesome...the game is so damn goofy I used to play it on my DS quite often. I still have not picked it up for my Wii though... and Mario Party should be a blast given the Wii's natural mini-game capabilities.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
blackdelsol94 said:
What titles are you still waiting on? I still want a few...I'm really craving Super Mario RPG at this point...

But anyways I agree Wario Ware is awesome...the game is so damn goofy I used to play it on my DS quite often. I still have not picked it up for my Wii though... and Mario Party should be a blast given the Wii's natural mini-game capabilities.
In particular I'm waiting for SSBB. I've owned a Nintendo console every generation soley for SSB (well, that makes two just for SSB). The deciding factor for me in keeping this console will be if it's online, or how good it is. If it's not that good, I'll be sad, and if it's not online, I'll die. The people I play smash with are all out of state. I can play VF, Tekken, SF, SC, GG, etc here, but none of those people play Smash Bros.

The other titles I'm waiting for are Mario Galaxy, and I absolutely cannot believe they haven't announced a Wii version of Mario Kart...it blows my mind. Hopefully they'll let us know something at E3 though! Till then, MAME on my PS3 get's more PT than Virtual Console...:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.