Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to reset the chip to factory settings? If so, Is it possible to tamper with settings on the chip?

Scenario:
Check engine light comes on, its possible to turn it off by pressing key back in the gauge cluster hole. By resetting this, you clear the light of the check engine, but the chip keeps it in memory and if you take it to Honda, they can clear the check engine off of the chip.
What does Honda do? Do they replug the the chip in their own computer and reloads settings of model?
[computer chip - - - plugs into Honda computer program]
[computer program resets chip and changes setting to zero]
[computer program loads model settings into chip]

If this is what they do, does this mean that the settings on the other fields such as rpm redline, temp... are also changeable?

·
Registered
471 Posts
i'll attempt to clear this up a bit....

I wrote a guide on how to disable the memory wire on the stock OBD2 ECU a while back ago. What that means is that the ECU has a power wire acting as "memory" so that the ECU will not forget the settings and CEL's. Basically on our OBD2 ecu's, the ECU relearns settings every 75 miles to our personal driving habbits. It can change fuel maps, timing, etc... ( so like if your driving up a mountain it changes for the new altitude ). But if you have mods such as i/h/e, when the ecu learns to your habit, it actually makes the car a bit rougher and sluggish. This wire trick will clear out all your CEL's... and if you do go in for the dealer to get a diagonstic, it will show nothing until you renable the wire and drive around for a good few miles.

This wire basically is like a switch that memics unpluging the battery wire from the car and repluging it back in.

Now about changing the settings of the chip. On a OBD2 ECU, rechipping/reprogramming it is pretty much unheard of in the US... i'm sure it's possible in japan, but never seen anyone do it here. The easiest way to "change the settings" would be to convert to a OBD1 ECU, and then chip that with diffrent chips of diffrent settings, or even put in a hondata which allows you change it to your own settings. I personally use a OBD1 p28 ecu in my si with a lightly remapped chip to run my car...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks...just doing my research on this guy because he claimed to have been able to add some incredible hp gains just by flashing the memory and inputting in his own settings. I was skeptic, and maybe he was just trying to get some money from me. I've never heard of his procedure before but his theory on reprogramming is logical. I'll see what else I can dig up. Thanks again.

·
Registered
471 Posts
on alot of other cars, just a simple flash of an ECU can cause incredable gains. But on the SI, it will only give better response and engine feel, with limited gains. The diffrence between OBD2 to OBD1 is within 10%.

On cars like the wrx, rsx, VW's. With a simple flash, they easily get up to 15+ more hp.

also, the guy you heard about probably did some internal engine work or put in diffrent cams, thus requiring new settings that could have been hindering him without it, thus the large gains.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just a quick question but are you talking about an EM Civic Si or an EP Civic Si. The EP's can actually get significant gains with I/H/E and a reflash from Hondata (nearly as good as the RSX's).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts