Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you are supposed to remove the resonator when adding exhaust because it takes away air flow. But what I was wondering is what it is actually used for? And is it illegal not to have one? Thanks.

· Registered
96 Posts
i dont think its illegal to roll without one, when you go to get an exhaust made just have them not put it back on and run piping instead, the downside is a raspy sound that will come from your car

· Registered
6,555 Posts
jaysi said:
Tne resonator has nothing to do with the exhaust afaik.
It's part of the intake system, at least on my car. It's sole purpose it so reduce engine noise. You can take it out if you like.
You are required to remove it if you install an CAI.
As far as I know the exhaust has nothing to do with it.
the exhaust does have a resonator. i know that some stock intakes have a resonator also.

Mekka.......if you dont install a resonator your exhaust will sound raspy and annoying especially at cruising speeds. belive me i had a custom exhaust with no resonator and it drove me nuts.
if you are to have a custom exhaust made for your car tell them to use a bigger diameter resonator if possible. that way it will not affect flow as much but it will keep the noise down also.
its not illegal to drive with out one.

· Registered
960 Posts
You are correct. Serves the same purpose as the intake resonator.
I would probably leave the exhaust one on...you'll have a annoying loud car.
The exhaust alone should make a good sound on its own.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
the piping from cat to the end of the resonator is fugin' tiny, but when getting a custom exhaust you can have a high flow one put in, so you still flow and don't have an exhaust that sounds like ass

· Registered
437 Posts
what would i do....im gonna take it to meineke or midas and have them do it for me but im just putting on the APEXI N1 muffler but i want to put it on2.25" custom pipes and i want it to be loud but not sound like ass.....so what exactly do i tell them? just replace the stock pipe from the cat to muffler with 2.25"pipe and do i say anything about a resonator?

· Registered
1,081 Posts
crash6934 said:
what would i do....im gonna take it to meineke or midas and have them do it for me but im just putting on the APEXI N1 muffler but i want to put it on2.25" custom pipes and i want it to be loud but not sound like ass.....so what exactly do i tell them? just replace the stock pipe from the cat to muffler with 2.25"pipe and do i say anything about a resonator?
yes tell them you want a high flow resonator, other wise you could do a lil detective work and locate your own to bring with you when you have this installed.

· Registered
298 Posts
Let me say one thing real quick:

Not Midas!! Not Midas!! Not Midas!! Not Midas!! Not Midas!!

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, you WANT a resonator.

If the shop implies they don't know what you're talking about, or says they can't do it, TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.

· Registered
437 Posts
when i called meineke they said that they dont have any resonators for my car.....so where could i find one and how much should it cost? they said they would be able to put it on if i got one and before i said anything about hte resonator they were gonna just do no resonator.....if i get a highflow resonator will it still be loud? cause i want it to be loud but not sound like shit

· Registered
960 Posts
Is the resonator not built into the exhaust canister?
According to HowStuff works link above it is:

So when he replaces his exhaust, his new exhaust will have a resonator already. Or is there a second one I'm missing.

· Registered
298 Posts
Is the resonator not built into the exhaust canister?
According to HowStuff works link above it is:

So when he replaces his exhaust, his new exhaust will have a resonator already. Or is there a second one I'm missing.
Well...that's for a standard muffler.

I'm not sure about performance mufflers like a canister styles or things like that.

Some of the pictures of full cat backs I've seen have the resonator in the piping just before the muffler, so a universal muff like he's installing won't have one.

It really depends.

What brand are you installing dude?

· Registered
96 Posts
Mojo-Jojo said:
Let me say one thing real quick:

Not Midas!! Not Midas!! Not Midas!! Not Midas!! Not Midas!!

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, you WANT a resonator.

If the shop implies they don't know what you're talking about, or says they can't do it, TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.
this has nothing to do with the quality work
that midas does

i heard this story on speedvision a while back, where Taz(i forget his last name, he's the guy thats running the 2k+1 civic w/b16 in the speedvision gt) couldnt race this one time cuz he diddnt have a muffler, and they race officials would not let him trailor his car off the track to a shop, so he drove his fully prepped touring civic on the road to a midas muffler shop and had them manufacture an exhaust system for him, and drove it back to the track(testing his car agianst some rice boy all the way back)

· Registered
960 Posts
I'm sure it's in the canister. My friend bout a Ractive axel back and it has the resonator in the can.

Don't quote me on that though, they may not all be the same.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.