Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a surprise announcement this morning, Nintendo revealed the new name of its forthcoming game system: Wii. "As in 'we'," the official statement adds. For the official announcement visit the Revolution...err...Wii Web site.

After a brief Flash introduction, the site explains Nintendo's move. "While the code-name 'Revolution' expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that separates game players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games … and each other."

The site goes on to say that Wii should be easy to remember for people around the world, no matter their language, and that it will avoid abbreviation. As for the unusual spelling with the lower-case letter "i" doubled up is intended to represent "both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play." It may also be worth noting that "ii" means "good" in Japanese.

Nintendo sums up the name change with the following comments. "So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."

[UPDATE] Game-industry analysts were swift with their responses. "Looks like a good solid name for Nintendo," said Michael Gartenberg, vice president and research director of Jupiter Research. "The key is making sure they follow up with a strong launch campaign to evangelize the new brand and help drive the message forward."

Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter was more mixed in his assessment. "My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb," he bluntly stated. "However, upon reflection, I thought that the name Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation. Let's face it, devices with cool names like Dreamcast and Gizmondo fail, and the lame names seem to do well."

--Gamespot

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
what a stupid name. can you imagine how stupid it sounds to say "can i get a Nintendo Wii?" i dunno what that dude at the end is talking about. i think gameboy, xbox, playstation are fine names.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
tha_con said:
..Wii. "As in 'we'..

..Wii will put people more in touch with their games.. and each other..

..Wii should be easy to remember for people around the world, no matter their language.. the image of people gathering to play..

..Because, it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything..
:lol2 :lol2 :lol2
This whole "Wii" concept sounds really gay. Only in Japan! :hehe

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
"WHEEeeeeeeee....!!!" (Insert: The sound of a toilet flushing in the background!) :ahh

Let's all hold hands and circle the drain together. :noo :fear

"Revolution" was a good enough name IMHO. So what's the next one gonna be called? "WiiII" maybe? :lol2

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they changed it because "revolution" is a big proclimation, especially for a name of a system.

Wii is more user friendly, and avoids any kind of harsh criticism from people. I mean, Revolution held potential for everyone to say it wasn't a revolution at all, and it could very well harm the systems credibility just by word of mouth.

Wii is a little different, but I'm not going to say they're insane for it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
ya i understand for the name change, wasn't Revolution just the code name of the project though? like Dolphin was for the Cube i think

you gotta give it up to Nintendo though.. they brave.. in there own happy way :lmao

10 bux says they change the name in the States!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Oh man I hate the name with a passion. I was nintendo with the revolution with everything until the name. Its name better not be the downfall of nintendo in the console business. :( I probably get the system, but im not going to call it "Wii" WTF, grrrrrrrr.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts