Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Accord DX auto with 150,000 miles and the transmission is almost dead. Whenever it tries to downshift, it hesitates in neutral. Once it gets in gear, it will drop back down a gear if I barely step on the gas. It has alot of trouble every time it upshifts too.

It looks I have a few options:
Fix or replace the transmission. I'll still be left with an engine that eats oil.
Swap for an H22 with a manual tranny.
Sell it and buy something else (probably an Integra).

I need something that'll last me another four years until I'm out of college. Can I get a general idea of what my choices will cost?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
well if you're just going to "last" till end of college, downgrading to a civic isn't a bad idea... just get a decent lil civic in great shape and be nice to it for four years... that way you don't spend alot of money and you can take the rest of the money and spend it on alcohol or perhaps save it towards an "after graduation and getting a career" car, hehe anyway you choose, good luck mang :number1

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was thinking about getting a Civic too. But I'm going to have trouble selling my Accord when the transmission doesn't work. A week ago, I could have sold it for 5 grand. Now I'd be lucky to get half that.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear its not all that uncommon for the auto to die in 6th gen accords at 150,000 miles. I've owned it since it had 111k miles, and the transmission has been fading ever since. First, it would hesitate to shift only when cold, but now its all the time and the problem is worse. I'm thinking it might be the torque converter, since it happens in every gear.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
find a used auto tranny and sell it or take the risk and see if the tranny lasts.

i was in the same boat before, but i didnt want to sell or take the risk of getting a bad tranny or having the auto tranny failing again so i converted to stick. rebuilding is definately not a good option. ive read so many horror stories on auto rebuilds taking a shit with barely any miles put on them.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, I'll get a price quote on a tranny fix/rebuild this weekend. But it would be nice to have an H22 under the hood.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
dude take my words, dont do a rebuild you will regret it. they cost a grip and most likely they will fail again not too long down the road.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bonestock94 said:
dude take my words, dont do a rebuild you will regret it. they cost a grip and most likely they will fail again not too long down the road.
Then either I fix the tranny, sell it, and buy a Civic with 40-60k miles, or I drop an H22 + tranny. Its a matter of cost. If I can get the H installed for cheap enough, I'll go with that.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
if you're keeping the car, you're wasting your money on the rebuild...go grab a used tranny from a totaled car or a brand new one....rebuilds = shit....i know from first, second, and third hand experience....but only the first two really matter =)

manual tranny swap could cost just as much as getting an auto and putting it in there...and it'll be safer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts