Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Ripped off for clutch?

1K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  ganjgremlin 
#1 ·
ok so last night i herd a horrible noise! turns out my clutch is going. apparently, i dont have one at this point in time, hehe. anyway, i took it right to honda, just for the clutch it is $1200, is this high? he said just the parts were $480 adn the labor would be ALL DAY. i didnt argue. apparently I also need accesory belts and a timing belt. the total work order was just under $2400. Was I ripped off by these bastards? If so, what parts was I? I think its about right since its honda doing it and not joe schmuch from blah auto in delhi, iowa.

#3 ·
*points finger* you gettin dicked.

buy a clutch from one of our sponsors and take it to honda for just labor, if they wont--find a reputable tranny shop to do it. dont get into converstations about wat they think u might need done, just go there and say "hey, i need u to put this in , how much"

#5 ·
Dealership quoted me $912.xx for clutch, that included all parts and labor. So I bought a Fidanza Flywheel and Exedy Organic clutch and just had them install that for $600 or so, so I came out around the same price with better parts. Timing belt I was quoted I think $449 or something, which included parts and labor.

So yea, they're trying to bend you over.

#6 ·
snackpacks said:
Dealership quoted me $912.xx for clutch, that included all parts and labor. So I bought a Fidanza Flywheel and Exedy Organic clutch and just had them install that for $600 or so, so I came out around the same price with better parts. Timing belt I was quoted I think $449 or something, which included parts and labor.

So yea, they're trying to bend you over.
more like suceeding to bend him over..

#7 ·
I paid around 525 for my exedy racing clutch and streetlite act flywheel from ww.clutchcityonline.com as a package and it was here quick. Don't let anyone else do the clutch install it's just time consuming is the hardest part. The motorsports store that did mine was installing a new aem red cai also and they scratched it up. I wasn't happy and I asked them what could be done. They said they'll replace the cai plus clutch install or I keep the intake and pay $150 cash to them and call it a day. $150 for a clutch install couldn't be passed up on an SH! Anyone with a good jack and a set of jackstands can do it I'm tellin ya!

#8 ·
preludedriver99 said:
I paid around 525 for my exedy racing clutch and streetlite act flywheel from ww.clutchcityonline.com as a package and it was here quick. Don't let anyone else do the clutch install it's just time consuming is the hardest part. The motorsports store that did mine was installing a new aem red cai also and they scratched it up. I wasn't happy and I asked them what could be done. They said they'll replace the cai plus clutch install or I keep the intake and pay $150 cash to them and call it a day. $150 for a clutch install couldn't be passed up on an SH! Anyone with a good jack and a set of jackstands can do it I'm tellin ya!
alot of people dont have the time or an extra car for that matter unlike you. :p ........i prolly woulda done my head if i had another car to drive.

edit:

eric, get on Yahoo messenger

#9 ·
when i said $1200 just for the clutch i mean for the clutch and all labor, not for just the clutch itself. i cant wait to get it back ON THURSDAY, which is awesome!!!! i cant believe it will be done that fast. shits gona be ill.

#10 ·
ganjgremlin said:
when i said $1200 just for the clutch i mean for the clutch and all labor, not for just the clutch itself. i cant wait to get it back ON THURSDAY, which is awesome!!!! i cant believe it will be done that fast. shits gona be ill.
so was my 800 dollar quote

#11 ·
I went to the dealership today and they quoted me $1,300 for the clutch, i have a SH. The guy also said, "just between you and me i'd just take it somewhere else, you could get it done a lot cheaper".

#12 ·
I had an ACT XTSS clutch kit put in by a local shop. I paid about $360 in labor to have it done. I can't remember but i think i paid somewhere between $400-500 for the kit.

When my release bearing broke and seized up in the tranny a year later i ended up doing the repairs myself. Replaced the clutch disc and release bearing. It's a major pain in the ass to do, almost worth paying someone else to do it.

#14 ·
Just so you all know, clutch replacement for the Type SH is much more labor extensive than for the base model lude. You have to remove the entire transmission in the SH, which is why labor costs are so high. I paid almost $700 labor at my local shop. Took 2 days because they had to replace the ATTS sensor they broke too :p

#15 ·
I paid 500 total for my exedy clutch and labor. I went to a reputable garage i think the cluth and release bearing was like 300 and the labor was like $200. It is good that you got a stock honda clutch though b/c it will be reliable and if anything goes wrong your covered. I also live in New York, so labor might be cheaper. Good luck when you get it back you will love it.

#17 ·
tienlude said:
*points finger* you gettin dicked.

buy a clutch from one of our sponsors and take it to honda for just labor, if they wont--find a reputable tranny shop to do it. dont get into converstations about wat they think u might need done, just go there and say "hey, i need u to put this in , how much"
^^^listen to the man here!
:btu

#18 ·
bell2157 said:
I paid 500 total for my exedy clutch and labor. I went to a reputable garage i think the cluth and release bearing was like 300 and the labor was like $200. It is good that you got a stock honda clutch though b/c it will be reliable and if anything goes wrong your covered. I also live in New York, so labor might be cheaper. Good luck when you get it back you will love it.
If you're within you're warranty. Yeah the labor should be warrantied but most dealerships do. Most import shops do too. A stock honda clutch is only able to handle stock hp from what the car comes with from the factory. There's no benefits from the stock oem other than the clutch disc itself and the flywheel being surfaced. Upgraded clutches are what should go in the car but if you've got an STI monster then I don't think you're to worried how fast you lude is!

#20 ·
SpanishRicer said:
Just so you all know, clutch replacement for the Type SH is much more labor extensive than for the base model lude. You have to remove the entire transmission in the SH, which is why labor costs are so high. I paid almost $700 labor at my local shop. Took 2 days because they had to replace the ATTS sensor they broke too :p
You have to remove the entire transmission on the base model too. Look at a Helms it's not that much more work then a base model, basically it's just one extra step of removing the ATTS unit.

#21 ·
order clutch from this web site....
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/home.htm

i paid about 400 for clutch kit and and flywheel...
labor on a sh it alot... but i think i rather have a honda guy do mine than average joe the doesnt know anything about atts systems....

#22 ·
98_prelude_sh said:
order clutch from this web site....
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/home.htm

i paid about 400 for clutch kit and and flywheel...
labor on a sh it alot... but i think i rather have a honda guy do mine than average joe the doesnt know anything about atts systems....
Atts is held on with 4 bolts it isn't very hard to take off. The shaft that goes into the atts usually should pull out with the transmission. There's a few sensors and a breather hose you have to disconnect. Other than the axles being dropped and all the bolts taken out of the tranny and some mounts it's easy. Honda's techs here locally didn't know shit about my type sh. They couldn't even tell me what fluid went in it, not that I didn't know but they didn't. I mean how hard is it to turn a wrench and follow directions. The shop that gave me a deal on the install took 8 hrs to do it. When I blew the lude up it took me less than 4 hrs to have the whole motor out! I wouldn't put a stock clutch in either if you're going to have it apart. Unless your cars totally stock but any performance upgrade is going to be harder for the oem clutch to work properly. Add some juice to that oem clutch and you'll be hatin life when you have to put another in 25,000 miles from now. Just my opinions on it all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.