Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,379 Posts
how can you tell if you are about to spin a rod bearing? i mean i hear something spinning when i shift but i don't know if it's the rod bearing... i do know however that my valves need to be re-adjusted. 20k miles of hard driving ;x

· Registered
2,356 Posts
pushVTEC said:
how can you tell if you are about to spin a rod bearing? i mean i hear something spinning when i shift but i don't know if it's the rod bearing... i do know however that my valves need to be re-adjusted. 20k miles of hard driving ;x
That's exactly what mine sounded like last week.. When I let off the throttle to clutch and shift, I heard a chattering noise.. The bearing spinning.. then it gradually got worse, until it really f*cked things up.. Spun rod bearing, main bearing, damaged rod in cylinder # 4, and a damaged crankshaft.. All currently being fixed for a grand total of $55.. Thank the lord for warranties.. :D

· Registered
1,379 Posts
god damnit, lol. i don't wanna be hearing this :( lol what's the standard honda warranty i have a 97 ex with 67k miles.... probably over the warantee by now. i think i only really notice that noise when my engine is cold though, don't notice it when it's warm... i'll have to pay closer attention.

· Registered
714 Posts
Originally posted by ZenkaiRacerSi
Ok i am hearing what i think is the rod bearing beggining to be spun.... it hasnt yet but at times sounds like its going... is there anything i can do for it?
To answer your first question ....there is nothing you can do for it and no the bearing can not be saved. And as for the detonation knock it should only do it under a load on acceleration....like going from third to fifth and flooring it. If it is a rod knocking you will hear a slight but constant clunking noise as you blip the throttle at low engine speeds. Oh yeah, techincally you would spin the bearing first and then it would wear out because once it spins it covers up the oil holes so the bearing just starts to fall apart and come out of the sides of the rod. That is what happend to my old crx si motor. IT however could be heard a mile away......It had no bearing on 2&3 and on 1&4 bearing was visible between the rod and crank. All of the other bearing material was in the oil sump. It was obvious that the potheads that owned the car forgot to put oil back in the motor when they changed it and they actually tried to put oil back in when they realized what they did. Which also, I had nothing to do with since i bought the car like that.

And another way to check if your car is about to start knocking really bad is to change the oil....if you see little copper or brass looking piecies of fine metal in it then you have a knocking rod or a deteriorating main ===>(which is usually caused by a bad pilot bearing in the end of the crank).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.