Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's some damn expensive motor oil. I bought some from Summit Racing and kind of thought it was a waste since it's gonna be gone in 3k anyways. 3k isn't short of time but it's like $5 a quart. I just go with Moble 1 since it's much cheaper than Royal Purple.

·
Registered
286 Posts
ummm, am I the only one who has been let in on the secret that Royal Purple is synthetic? You dont have to change it every 3k miles, unless of course you enjoy blowing your money away.

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
Ummm vtec ludes usually burn oil so it would be wise just to go ahead and change it at the 3000 mile interval. What's 25 bucks every 3000 miles if it will prolong the life of your motor.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
preludedriver99 said:
Ummm vtec ludes usually burn oil so it would be wise just to go ahead and change it at the 3000 mile interval. What's 25 bucks every 3000 miles if it will prolong the life of your motor.
:number1
I have never used before, but a friend does. He has a 96 supra and he always says thats the best motor oil he have ever tried. Ill probably try it next oil change to see if it works for Ludes as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
goodstuff

I am on my first change with royal purple and it noticeably smoothed out my idle and the car doesn't sound as raspy when I hit vtec. I also flushed/degunked the engine prior to putting in the royal purple, so that probably helped too. If you are just now switching to synthetic I recommend you do this (unless you have alot of miles, 90+)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hoe-dar said:
I am on my first change with royal purple and it noticeably smoothed out my idle and the car doesn't sound as raspy when I hit vtec. I also flushed/degunked the engine prior to putting in the royal purple, so that probably helped too. If you are just now switching to synthetic I recommend you do this (unless you have alot of miles, 90+)
I too am currently using Royal Purple. I actually did the same damn thing you have...used the motor flush before hand. It worked nicely, but I really didn't notice too much of a difference except it smoothed my car out a little bit, but overall I didin't notice a huge change. Next time I might try Redline...but I will have to reasearch it a bit more.

·
Registered
910 Posts
best setup ever would be from amsoil, they have a kit that comes with all the hoses, relocation block (hold 2 filters, work inline with each other) gives you better cleaning, with there synthetic, the oil change interval can be as high as every 20k miles with it, and it gives you an extra almost full quart capacity... kinda takes up a little room in the bay, but nothing big, think you can get one of these setups for like 100 bucks, plus amsoil is the shit anyway, cant go wrong... escpecially good for race setups, that extra quart can be good

·
Registered
910 Posts
WillyG said:
I too am currently using Royal Purple. I actually did the same damn thing you have...used the motor flush before hand. It worked nicely, but I really didn't notice too much of a difference except it smoothed my car out a little bit, but overall I didin't notice a huge change. Next time I might try Redline...but I will have to reasearch it a bit more.
redline and amsoil are almost 100% the same as far as performance and life... and the amsoil is ussualy cheaper, just thought id save you some cash

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yeah man but I can't find amsoil anywhere around here....unless they sell it at a major auto chain and I just can't find it? I know the Advance Auto around here sells Redline for like 7.50 per qt...which is friggin expensive but it's worth it to me.

I just dont want to have to order my oil online like I probably would if I wanted to use amsoil...I don't like having to order stuff like that.

·
Registered
910 Posts
yea, redline is a perfectly good oil, i just like amsoil more for some reason, though id be happy with either... im pretty sure autozone and oreilly carry amsoil

·
Registered
964 Posts
i switched from mobil 1 to royal purple in my TA and it reved alot better. it really felt like i gained about 5hp. and if its real synthetic you can run it 6k miles easy. just make sure you dont burn too much oil. try it out it cant hurt anything to try it once.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts