Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waz up guys, this is my first time in this forum. Well I have a question: I just bought a Rockford Forgate (Punch) 2 channel 200 watts. I'm just using one channel and hooked it up to a 10" Bazooka. At idle, I noticed that the rpm goes down when there is bass and at night the lights dim a little bit. Do I need a bigger battery? New alternator? Or is this normal? Thanx

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do I need a capacitor, I'm only pushing 100 watts? thanx

·
Registered
176 Posts
that is pretty typical because when your pulling amps from the alternator it is harder to turn. the engine will compensate for it because the ECU detects a drop in engine rpm but when bass surges like that the engine can't maintain the idle speed because it is a little slow to react. by the time it adds a little more air to the throttle body via the ICS or idle control solinoid the bass beat is gone and the load on the engine stops. this repetitive loading of the engine causes the idle speed to fluctuate. a cap may help a little but not a lot. you can change the idle speed a little and there is a good chance that doing this will help a lot.

there is a flat head screw located near the throttle body. (sometimes it has a plug over it.) you need to disconnect the ICS electrical connector on the intake manifold or throttle body (depends on the year). you will notice the engine speed drop considerably. then turn the idle adjustment screw on the throttle body counter clockwise to increase the speed until it is running at or near normal RPM. then when you reconnect the ICS it should be able to maintain the speed a little better.
this is a simple procedure and in any service manuel there are pictures and detailed instruction.
i have done this procedure on several hondas that i have owned because i live at high altitude and because of our lack of air the adjustment can be off a little causing a slightly rough idle.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
when u chance ur idle reset ur ecu. differnt idles make a differnce with gas milage..

but dont put it to high like past 1k rpm. stay under that. drive it around and put it in park and see what it is at again. cause if its over 1 and u have an automatic...your transmission link to the idle screw will be miss alighned and you may not be able to shift out of park because of the "shift lock sylinoid" also a little more ruff transmission shifting. i have this problem right now...it idles at under 1 but if i drive it around and stop then its right on 1...usually i have to pull back on the gas to get it out of gear...but when i get my timming belt replaced and my valves adjusted fuel pump and stuff...imma do timming and adjust everything back to spec

1 - 5 of 5 Posts