Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
868 Posts
Haha, he probably shifted back to 2nd instead of 4th. I have been in 2 of my friends cars and they have both done this. It really isn't good at all!! But nah, i dont think the engine blew, just missed a shift....like a fuckin moron in his brand new RSX that daddy probably bought him.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
who knows....my point is more towards how good that engine is.... i heard on SHO that 53 rsx engines have been replaced in California.....whats the deal...you guys been hearing problems or what?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the revs can't normally go that high on these honda/acura types of car usually. What normally happens once the car is redlined, is that the engine just gets shut off for a while til you fall back into the "regular" rpm range. A person once told me that these engines are made to redline and that they can never be blow as long as there is oil in there.

· Registered
1,351 Posts
if this is the video where the guy goes "oh shiiit" at the end, the owner claims that his friend was driving the car and his other friend was video taping while he was sleeping in the back seat:rolleyes: He took it to acura just to get an oil change(i thnk) and they said nothing was wrong with it...but more than likely there is something wrong with it...

· Registered
2,222 Posts
g2teg93 said:
the revs can't normally go that high on these honda/acura types of car usually. What normally happens once the car is redlined, is that the engine just gets shut off for a while til you fall back into the "regular" rpm range. A person once told me that these engines are made to redline and that they can never be blow as long as there is oil in there.
when downshifting a rev limiter doesn't do jack. for example you're at 8,000 rpm in 3rd gear, and instead of shifting to 4th like you're trying to, you shift to 2nd. even if the rev limiter does kick in (fuel is cut off), the engine is still at ~10,000 rpm. all a rev limiter is is just a fuel cutoff point, it works when you go into the red in a gear, but when you downshift cutting off the fuel isn't going to stop the engine from spinning too fast. true they are made to redline, as they have a 8,000 redline, which few cars have, but they can't defy physics. you can have all the oil you could possibly want in the engine but that still won't prevent the pistons from hitting the valves, or something similar.

· Registered
960 Posts
Common problem with these new cable type shifters. Very close notches...very easy to mishift when gearing down. Cable shifters lack the "feel". No clicking into gear, you also cannot feel the engine vibrations. My dad works at toyota and say the matrix is having the same problem. People misshifting alot due the the closeness of the notches.

Got to be careful.

· Registered
397 Posts
the guy couldn't be trying to shit to 4th gear, cause I saw him trying to shift to 3rd, in that case he missed 3rd and got 1st instead which will definetely blow an engine I think.

· Registered
2,917 Posts
the car is fine, i know for a fact that he didnt do shit to it cuz i saw honda take a sohc engine and rev it to 10g's, and even then it was ok. You have to understand that honda/acura engine parts are so think and can with stand a beating. Remember they are high rev' cars. True a rev limiter will not do anything go down in gear but it was like he was from 8g's to another 8g's hitting teh rev on teh downshift. I do belive honda is smart enough to put in a kill feature if this happens. Back when teh austronauts went up the car computer was still smarter then what they had...

· Registered
2,917 Posts
i wouldnt be worried about the engine so much as teh trans..ouch..

· Registered
314 Posts
a lesson in logic for Phatcivic

Phatcivic said:
the car is fine, i know for a fact that he didnt do shit to it cuz i saw honda take a sohc engine and rev it to 10g's, and even then it was ok. You have to understand that honda/acura engine parts are so think and can with stand a beating. Remember they are high rev' cars. True a rev limiter will not do anything go down in gear but it was like he was from 8g's to another 8g's hitting teh rev on teh downshift. I do belive honda is smart enough to put in a kill feature if this happens. Back when teh austronauts went up the car computer was still smarter then what they had...
first: we speak english here at SuperHonda - what do you mean by honda parts being "so think"
second: you don't know "for a fact" that no damage was done. this is a different engine in different circumstances than the one you saw.
third: "he was from 8g's to another 8g's hitting the rev on the downshift" what the hell does that mean?? he really went from 8 to about 10 or 11g by the sound of it. there was no rev limiter involved, because it is impossible to electronically limit a mechanical connection between the wheels and crankshaft! i don't care how much "smarter" honda's computers are than NASA's! it's not physically possible.

· Registered
2,917 Posts
Re: a lesson in logic for Phatcivic

Ohh another ones of these type of people where u have to be politicalluy correct on everything u say...
1) parts being thing- our rods, heads ect are far more superior then that of lets say a mustang and such. I wish i had a pic but i dont.
2) Basically same engine, no damage, if it was such a damage, you would hear a piston going through the wall in the short seconds after teh mis shift, which was what i listened for, any slap of the belt or other noise, all that occured was a loud rev for a matter of sec.
3)He was driving lets say in 3nd gear going 8g's (8,000 rpm) then opps he downshifts to 2nd wammmm he hits another 8g's remeber when u step on teh clutch the cutch grabs and so on and so forth so by teh time he went back to 2nd gear he was only at 8 g's cuz teh ecu wouldnt allow it to go any futher, so liek i said teh transmission is everything to worry about here. Maybe you dont understand honda/acura engines are far more supior then anyotehr around, but there transmisssions suck, i have an auto and i am on my 3rd. And dont sauy i dont know how to drive a stick cuz i drive another car that has twice the hp/tq then teh civic does.
4)From my history class it was said that the ecu/chip had a lot more programing involved the the nasa ship, maybe not now but back then yes...WAS THIS PROPER ENGLISH

SuperStud said:

first: we speak english here at SuperHonda - what do you mean by honda parts being "so think"
second: you don't know "for a fact" that no damage was done. this is a different engine in different circumstances than the one you saw.
third: "he was from 8g's to another 8g's hitting the rev on the downshift" what the hell does that mean?? he really went from 8 to about 10 or 11g by the sound of it. there was no rev limiter involved, because it is impossible to electronically limit a mechanical connection between the wheels and crankshaft! i don't care how much "smarter" honda's computers are than NASA's! it's not physically possible.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.