Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This topic has probably been posted a million times (and I did look at all the current subjects before posting), but I just wanted to get some different takes on the transmission issues with the Type S. I currently have a 99 v6 accord coupe and actually just settled a lemon law suite with Honda b/c the tranny is crap. I'm thinking about getting rid of it next year and picking up an RSX Type S (2005 left-over). I've heard allot of 'notchy shifting' issues, but I've also heard that Acura made some tranny changes for 2005. I'm wondering if the issue (if it is an issue) has been solved. Has anyone heard anything?

Thanks!

·
Registered
679 Posts
From what I understand, there is no real solution to the problem. I myself, was fine for about 18 months, then my tranny just gave up. It's been fixed once, and needs to be fixed again. :bh

It really depends on hard you drive your car, and how often you drive hard. I guess you could say its a luck of the draw thing. :confused

·
Registered
73 Posts
S Tranny

I have an '04 S, I've only had it for about 5 months. My biggest problem is the 1st to 2nd shift. Man, there's a ton of grind there, especially upon the first few shifts of any driving session. I would not classify myself as a hard driver in any way, I shift at about 3k for EVERY GEAR about 90% of the time.
To be honest with you, I've lost some faith in Honda. I looked forward to getting a S ever since it came out. After I bought it, I've had nothing but doubt and regret. So many stupid problems that I would NEVER expect from Honda. Had a Civic EX for 5 years before this, not a single problem. I don't know man, expect this from a Kia, but not from a Honda....

·
Registered
679 Posts
blackv6 said:
Well that just sucks :mad

I don't know if I should even get one now.
Im not sure this 2nd gear syncro problem would be enough to keep me away from an rsx type s, but thats up to you.

x2lacrosse,
Care to list any of your complaints besides the tranny? I have had no problems other then the tranny, and Im far from stock....Not to mention my car has been driving into the ground.

·
Registered
679 Posts
hobie237 said:
i dunno... when i drop that kind of change on a new car i want it to be real nice right off the lot... not with any problems...

i mean, i understand that its not a 60k bmw or anything, but still... i would've expected honda to work these types of kinks out of the car before selling it...
You shouldn't and wont have any problems right off the lot. It's just something that happens over time. It's not just Honda having these problems. Most companies coming out with 6 speeds for their little sport compacts are having problems. I know the celica has the same problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Get One

blackv6 said:
Well that just sucks :mad

I don't know if I should even get one now.
Get one, once you read my problems below, you'll understand that the problems I've had are probably not platform wide.
Don't get me wrong, I still love Hondas and will never buy anything other, I'm just saying that some of the problems I've had, I would've NEVER expected from a Honda.
My problems have not been of the mechanical variety. Seems to be of the production type.

1> My windshield rattles like a mutha!
2>The gaps between the hood & hatch and the body were way wider onone side than the other. I mean, on one side, I could fit 2 quarters in the gap and the other I couldn't even get 1 quarter into the gap.
3>My glovebox rattles like a mutha.

You can call me picky or whatever, but I don't expect these types of problems from a reputed car manufacturer like Honda. In fact, Car & Driver has long said that one of the biggest things ( among others) separating companies like Kia and Honda is the fit/finish quality of the cars. If you ask me, the fit/finish of my car is not on par w/ the 24k price tag. The dealer has resolved the 2nd issue, but the other 2 remain.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I heard somwhere on cRSX saying that honda DID fix the tranny problem but then again some people are already having 3rd and 4th gear grinds in their 2005 rsx's but i think its just abuse thats causing that cuz my car doesnt have any grinding problems yet (knock on wood) and i drive my car hard time to time but not like every turn or anything. If anything the only reason i grind to hard is because i dont engage the clutch enough and it grinds :bh

·
Registered
679 Posts
vueboy5 said:
I heard somwhere on cRSX saying that honda DID fix the tranny problem but then again some people are already having 3rd and 4th gear grinds in their 2005 rsx's but i think its just abuse thats causing that cuz my car doesnt have any grinding problems yet (knock on wood) and i drive my car hard time to time but not like every turn or anything. If anything the only reason i grind to hard is because i dont engage the clutch enough and it grinds :bh
It's not the drivers fault (assuming they not what they are doing). There are plenty of people who hardly race, and have this problem. I used to drive my car so hard, and the tranny was fine for 1 and 1/2 years. Then I had it fixed, and my driving has changed to old granny style, and I have the same problem! :bh

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
They shoulda stuck with the ITR tranny or something like it, it's the best transmission I've ever used. So precise and accurate. No problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well this just sucks.....maybe I SHOULD wait for the Scion TC to get a supercharger and go after that...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ive had my type-s since July of '04. The only problems ive had tranny wise are when you first stop driving, usually when its cold out the gears take some time to get warm and it does tend to grind/pop into gears (instead of the normal "click" i guess) the second is that at least with mine. It tends to sometimes have a problem going into 3rd. Like i'll put it in but then i go to accelerate and i'll just grind, but ive also heard that buying a short throw will take that away so.
Other than that I love my car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well then I need some help guys....what should I do?!?

Are the tranny issues worth not getting an RSX?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have an 02 type s and I had my tranny replaced at about 60,000 miles. My synchros were bad. The dealership I bought it from gave me a bunch of shit about aftermarket parts and said they wouldnt cover it under warranty. I took it to another and they said American Honda had just released a bulletin titled "gears grind when shifting." So all I had to do was check the vin # and that let them know if my car was part of the covered cars. Being the fact I got the car the 1st day it hit the lot my vin was one of the vins included. Got it replaced free. But other than that and a few minor wtf is that noises its been a great car and it gets stronger everyday.

·
Registered
122 Posts
blackv6 said:
Well then I need some help guys....what should I do?!?

Are the tranny issues worth not getting an RSX?

Honestly, if i really cared and really wasnt lazy i'd take it to the dealership and have them look at it. Its still under warranty. Ya gotta think about it in this way though, all cars are cold. I didnt once have this problem in the summer time. Its just when the car is cold. The third gear problem i have because i sometimes shift to fast. But like i said its nothing that a short throw wont take care of. I would never trade my car just for this reason though. I love it

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel the same 1st to 2nd grind whenever i first start up, pretty much 100% of the time. i think that is just the mechanics of it cuz i had a 2000 Audi A4 which did the same exact thing...they both also often times grind into reverse, i need to put it into 4th or something and then into reverse to prevent the grind

·
Registered
48 Posts
u guys are nuts

its called a 100,000 mile warantee on the trany....if u start hearing weird noises, just drop it off at the dealership. if it happens again and again then they will fix it again and again--i mean any car can have trany problems depending on how u drive it and what not....

heres my "problems" with my 04 S
1)my driver side windows auto button stops the window half way up and sends it back down a couple of inches...weird
2)the yellow side airbag light goes on when there is a person sitting in the front...they book says it happens when there is a bag or something inthe front seat cuz the car thinks its a small kid....mine happens only when a person is sitting there....
3)the rear window sprayer isnt at the top of its game
4)the floor mats "RSX TYPE-S" decal is coming off--looks kinda stupid

all these things though the dealership is obligated to fix if i were to be picky about it---to not get an RSX TYPE S because of a few people that say they have trany problems or whatever they are complaining about is a whack reason-- i love the car, awesome on gas when i drive normal, it'll hold its own with most when i drive like a maniac...its got a real nice interior 6 CD's in the dash--on top of it the 70,000/100,000 mile warantee, its a no brainer

·
Registered
568 Posts
My RSX-S I just acquired from my mom has 46k miles on it and it has been having that 2nd gear problem since the begining. When I drove it last it felt a lot better, but I think that might have had something to do with it being a lot warmer outside. When I drove my Si the other day, the trottle cable wasn't sticking in the begining like it had been doing for the past ~2years. But the 2nd gear thing is a nuisense, I hope it doesn't have long term effects. If so, Acura will have some explaning to do

1 - 20 of 21 Posts