Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the RSX and the RSX-s. All I know is that the type s has 200hp and the rsx 160hp...but what else? I just got the RSX and the car looks the same, I test drove the type S and the car drives just like the regular rsx. One thing I noticed is that on the type S you here the vtec kicking in and on my rsx I can barelly hear it... could anyone point me a web so I can find out more things about the RSX?

Thank you,
Eddy.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
theres a diffrence in compression and the type-s has 200hp were the normal rsx has 160,also the type s has 6 gears

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
isn't the rsx and rsx-s i-vtec? how would you hear vtec "kick in"? am i the only one who thinks i-vtec engages vtec in gradual stages of the power band and not in one specific point?

·
Registered
101 Posts
type S got leather seats .. 6 disc in dash changer .. sub woofer built in spare tire .. match color side skirts .. xpecially 40hp extra over the normal RSX .. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
flyracerx said:
isn't the rsx and rsx-s i-vtec? how would you hear vtec "kick in"? am i the only one who thinks i-vtec engages vtec in gradual stages of the power band and not in one specific point?
i-VTEC isn't much different then normal VTEC. In fact, all it is, is the normal VTEC with continously variable intake cam.

The variable intake cam really leaves a lot of room for tuning. ;)

As for difference, there are a ton. Too many to list. The base has "whimpy VTEC".....Only two rocker arms on the intake side, along with only two cam lobes on the intake cam. The exhuats cam has only one cam lobe. The base's VTEC isn't even really vtec. When the base is below 2000rpm, it runs on 12 valves, above 2000rpm it runs on 16......theres you vtec for the base. You B series guys should be able to figure out what the VTEC is like for a type s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
too much diff, I have a S and I test drove a base when I was waiting they fix the truck hangers(I broke those like 1 per month lol). all I can say is the base is good if you are looking for a good quality built vechile for transportation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I test drove a used type s with 18.000 miles on it, with an aem intake and I could really hear the vtec kick at exactly 5.5 rpm, then I wen't to another dealership and test drove another one that I was going to get that had 39.000 miles and I freakin gased it and I did not hear the vtec at all....I really don't know much about the rsx... I can't even turn on the side airbags or program my keyless entry remote cuz I don't have the manual and none of my friends have a rsx. I went to the auction to get a wrx but that shit was hard to find so I decided to get the rsx. I knew the type s had 200 hp but both of them has he same amount of torque 142 lbs and all my friends told me that the type s didn't have that much power for 6 gears so I went for the regular one. With the 3-5 thousand that I would spend extra buying a type s I could make the regular a woop ass machine, and hopefully I am right. Could that intake be the reason for that vtec to be so loud or what.... Man, I want to hear the vtec kick in again, that shit is so freakin nice.....will a good intake give me that nice and loud racing feeling?

Thanks for all the replies...this is really helpfull.
Eddy.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
APEXiTypeS said:
i-VTEC isn't much different then normal VTEC. In fact, all it is, is the normal VTEC with continously variable intake cam.

The variable intake cam really leaves a lot of room for tuning. ;)

As for difference, there are a ton. Too many to list. The base has "whimpy VTEC".....Only two rocker arms on the intake side, along with only two cam lobes on the intake cam. The exhuats cam has only one cam lobe. The base's VTEC isn't even really vtec. When the base is below 2000rpm, it runs on 12 valves, above 2000rpm it runs on 16......theres you vtec for the base. You B series guys should be able to figure out what the VTEC is like for a type s.
ah i see. i always thought since it had the continuous variable intake cam, it'd engage at different stages depending on acceleration and what-not.

·
Registered
679 Posts
MIAMISR9,
You gonna need that extra 3-4 grand to make your base run high 14's....what a stock type s does. The K20A3 (Base motor) is not a performance motor at all.

dsrspwr,
VTEC is at 5800rpm stock. 5200rpm with a Hondata reflash. 4300rpm with Hondata K-pro using the K20A2 Cold air calibration. 4100rpm with K-pro using the K20A calibration. 3900rpm with the toda flash (cams and valve springs as well as ecu)

Stock, your VTEC will engage at 5800rpm no matter what your throttle position is. With K-pro, you can set your VTEC to engage at 4300rpm at 75% throttle position (this is just an example) and (just for an example) 5800rpm at anything less then 75% throttle position.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want to know exactly how all the K series motors function, go to this site: www.ivetcdaily.com it's a great website and well done too. the VTEC engaugement point is at 5,800rpm stock. The motor that is the closest to the Type S is the Si motor, not the base RSX because of the intake manifold design.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is my second Acura and more powerful one at that. My brother had the civic si and I still would not change my mind.

RSX_S is the better car for the price. I almost took the tsx. but it lacked the sporty feel i wanted and I tested most if not all cars in the same catagory.

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lol No.
Lol no, its either on or off. When that solenoid engages and disengages it activates and deactivates a seperate rocker arm and set of cam lobes changing your intake/exhaust valve timing, lift, duration ect. There are no stages.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts