Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
running ered light ticket

Just got a ticket for running red light. but i honestly feel that i didn't. it was yellow when i went thru the light. i even saw it turn from yellow to red after i passed. i didn't say anything to the cop, i jus took the ticket and drove away. Should i plead not guilty? what are the chances i can get this dropped? if i lose, will i have to pay a higher fine than if i pleaded guilty? i jus dont wanna get those dayam points....please advise, first ticket for me....

· Registered
452 Posts
You may get out of this if it is your first ticket and the judge and officer are nice. Depends on what state you are in, but most seem to say that if you are at the intersection when it goes yellow-you are to go thru carefully. If it changes and they think you had enough time to stop-you lose. Let me give an example: My mother made a right turn directly behind a truck that blocked her view to the light-the rule in Maryland is that you are to check the light first-she lost. Pennsylvania seems to have its own thing too-but enough. Go to court and plead not guilty. Tell the judge exactly, in proper wording, what you did-when he/she asks. The most you will be out will be the additional amount that is charged for a hearing. As to points-here in PA you would automatically get 3, I think. What happens to your insurance is quite a different matter in the end.
Good luck

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont really need a lawyer do i? other than the officer's word, theres no other evidence against me. would it be possible they just raise my fine and elminate all points? i'm trying not to get my insurance into this.

· Registered
1,332 Posts
do what I did if you got hookups....... I went to my former boss
(mechanic shop owner) and asked him if he could write me up a "fake" repair bill for my brakes so he wrote up that I needed two new rotors and a set of brakes and added that the employees that they should push it in rather than drive it in cuz it had failed brakes........ I took that into the judge and had the charges dropped that instant

· Registered
301 Posts
kinghawk said:
do what I did if you got hookups....... I went to my former boss
(mechanic shop owner) and asked him if he could write me up a "fake" repair bill for my brakes so he wrote up that I needed two new rotors and a set of brakes and added that the employees that they should push it in rather than drive it in cuz it had failed brakes........ I took that into the judge and had the charges dropped that instant
Man, that a great idea, but if it should be push in and he drove the cars so it that going to be careless driving or unsafe vehicle?

· Registered
1,332 Posts
well it would be careless driving only a precaution of the owner so that a employee doesnt risk ending up in the bosses office when the car is driven in.... a cars breaks can get weak by fading due to thin break pads and this is what was noted

· Registered
1,423 Posts
pinoypc said:
i dont really need a lawyer do i? other than the officer's word, theres no other evidence against me. would it be possible they just raise my fine and elminate all points? i'm trying not to get my insurance into this.
no you don't need a lawyer. an officer's word is all they need as evidence. the court will tend to believe an officer over you. hopefully the officer doesn't even show up to court that day. that way you'll have a good chance to have the case dismissed.

i've never heard of raising the fine to eliminate points. you may be stuck on that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.