Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running W/Out an O2 Censor?

Ok i have a '94 civic ex with a b18a1. i recently got rid of my turbo set up and put some dc headers and have a high flow cat that is going in. right now i had to get an extension welded at meinke and they would touch my high flow cat so they welded my stock one and put an extension in it so it would reach the headers. problem is know i dont have an O2 bung. I am taking it back on tuesday to get one in but how reliable and safe is it to run my car w/out the O2 sensor in untill then? It runs fine right now the check engine light is on but thats seems to be it. I think it might be running rich at high rpms cus it doesnt know how much fuel to give so it gives to much. so do i drive it to work and school or hold off untill i get the O2 sensor back in. BTW the o2 senor wires are cut and the sensor is not actually connected to my car at the time. thanks

p.s. i got rid of the turbo b/c i didnt have enough time or money to finish the project properly.

·
Registered
382 Posts
yeah it will just run rich....you might wanna look into an O2 simulator.....really shouldn't cause any major problems to drive for a week or two though

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
SmurfedOutCivic said:
yeah it will just run rich....you might wanna look into an O2 simulator.....really shouldn't cause any major problems to drive for a week or two though
please downsize your sig

·
Registered
466 Posts
SmurfedOutCivic said:
Don't post if you don't know what you are talking about. If it is just the secondary O2 sensor, then it has nothing to do with your A/F ratio. All the 2nd O2 sensor does is check the emissions levels from after the cat. If you are talking about the primary O2 sensor, then your car has no idea how much fuel it should be supplying and it will probably be dumping a crap load of fuel. Also, I've tried hooking up an O2 sensor simulator from http://www.o2sim.com/ and from what I can tell you have to have the O2 sensor actually attached for it to function right. But I've been running for almost a year now with no 2nd O2 sensor with no problems.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
An O2 simulator will not work for you, it is not designed to work on primary O2 sensors, only on the secondary O2 found in 96-up OBD2 vehicles. As was stated you can drive without it for a while but economy will go down and if you go too long you can foul the converter by running that rich.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts