Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a honda and it has a little bit of rust on the sidepanel just above the wheel. I am not that familiar with painting cars so I was just wondering if they will still be able to put a good paint job on the car. The rust does not seem that bad. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
they should be able to get rid of it w some minor steel wool or something to scrape/polish the sheetmetal.

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
My dad taught me how to do a lot of fiberglass work for restoring my CR-X. My quarter panels were rusted out so bad I could stick my fist through it, and I wasn't able to safety the car until it was fixed. I know yours isn't nearly as bad.

The best route to fixing it would be to use a grinder, and grind away all the rust and surrounding area (at least 2 inches around). Don't use Bondo for smoothing it out after, 'cuz Bondo is shit. Go buy a fiberglass kit (very inexpensive) and plaster some over the grinded area. It can be uneven since you just have to sand it smooth after. Just make sure there are no bubbles!

You can take it to a shop after and they can prep and paint the car for you. If you are wanting to do it yourself, I could give you some pointers, but keep in mind it's a lot of work.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Haha my quarters where horrible too, i don't know how to fiberglass though and im just learning body work, but i had mine cut out and refiberglassed the whole quarter so it looked brand new. Then got her painted

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
Yes you can just gring it off, no biggie. What I was getting at with the fiberglass is that once you grind the rust off, that spot isn't perfectly smooth now. That's why you have to fill it and smooth it out again. Shops will use Bondo because it's cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts