Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a safc or vafc to tune their fuel? I am thinking about using one I just have some questions? I am currently running the jr map mod and jr btc, but I want more control over fuel delievry other then adjusting the static psi on my jr fmu, I am currently seeking out to rid top end detonation from my set up, the car wants more timing everywhere, but at redline where boost seems to spike to 9 psi, if I lower the btc knob it runs fine till the at about 7 grand....then detonation

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey man, you sound like you need more fuel! I'm definitely no authority on this but I can tell you my experiences with the V-AFC. It is a great tuning device, except it only allows you to increase/decrease fuel percentages by rpm. As you know with a supercharger you can boost at almost any rpm, so tuning the V-AFC to increase fuel at say 5K rpms may help under boost, but if you aren't boosting, you will run rich. You can adjust the throttle position, but it just seemed like too much to try to pin-point exact settings. I called Ben Schaeffer, of Schaeffer's Imports, considered the best JRSC tuner on the east coast by Keith at JR, because I was having a hesitation problem. He told me to get rid of the BTC because with the V-AFC and map mod, I was running too much to the ECU and confusing it. He suggested the MSD BTM to replace the BTC, which I got, but the car still had the hesitation problem. Then I was told that the map mod and the V-AFC were conflicting and causing the hesitation problem. So, I removed the V-AFC. The problem still existed. My fault for listening to bad advice.

Ben said, and most tuners agree, that the V-AFC is a very valuable tuning device if you know what you are doing. When Inline was tuning my car, they were able to increase my horsepower from 128 to 157 by adjusting the V-AFC. I have no doubt that used correctly, this was a great investment. However, since the shop that was tuning my car didn't seem to know their a$$ from a hole in the ground, and I later discovered that the increase in horsepower was because the car was starving for fuel and their minor adjustments w/ the V-AFC helped the fuel problem, I still opted to sell the V-AFC rather than reinstall it. I bought the cartech FMU which has been one of the best investments that I have made. Upon installing the Cartech unit, that is when I discovered the problem that had been plaguing me for 6 months and causing the hesitation. Inline installed my JR FMU wrong. They had the vacuum line hooked to the bottom of the manifold instead of the top where it would see boost. Therefore, my fuel pressures would never rise under boost causing a lean condition. To solve this, they boosted my fuel pressures on 310cc injectors to 60+. As you can imagine, I was fouling plugs every other day. Now my car runs great (ok, a little rich), but compared to the way it ran when I got it back from Inline, it is like night and day.

Oh yeah, Inline suggested selling the V-AFC and installing the S-AFC. They said it was more tunable for my application. Up to you if you want to listen to their advice.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey chip inline to me, is very un educated in overall tuning they know the kits they work with and thats about it, it's one of those shops...buy throught them they will do you right. Any way how is this guy in Woodbine...Tell me about his setup, does he have a dyno, what are his rates...I am planning to get a safc in the near future and possibly get rid of the map mod if the ecu can be tricked by the safc to see boost and go open loop...What do you think?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I really don't know anything about the guy in Woodbine except what JR told me. I spoke to him, and he seems to really know his stuff, and he primarily works on JRSC's so that is a bonus. However, the downside is that he seems very busy. You may have to make an appointment way in advance. Here is a guys page that uses him for his performance stuff:

http://www.geocities.com/civicb18b/

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
hey man, post up some pics of your cartech install if you can. I have yet to install mine yet... that little needlevalve and checkvalve thing are confusing the hell outta me.

did you tune the cartech on the dyno or by yourself?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Install the threaded barbed fitting that came with the cartech onto the needlevalve located on the bleeder screw. Then, the check valve is to be attached to the top of the needlevalve to buffer the pressure release. That's it.

I don't have pictures, but I will try to do so soon.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I believe the S-AFC is very valuable when it comes to dyno tuning...I got 18 hp on the dyno from tuning mine. But, since you are at 8psi, if you don't already have them, I think you should get some bigger injectors. I'm using 310cc injectors with no jr map controller or btc. I'm only at 6psi, but my head is milled 40 thousandths so compression ratio is approximately 10 to 1. I have no hesitation or bogging problems and no detonation, granted I do have water injection also. I'd definately recommend the safc and some bigger injectors.

·
Registered
164 Posts
For everything there is know about the Cartech unit, you can contact Jim Helbing at Motorvations Motorsports, (205) 661-3600. He is very, very nice, easy to talk to, and knows EVERYTHING about Hondas and superchargers. You can find out a lot about and from Jim by going to the hostboard that he uses. If you search for motorvations, you should be able to find all his posts. That way you can see that he really knows his sh*t!

Here is the link, it may take a while to load:

www.hostboard.com/

Click on "· View Message Boards" on the left-hand side of the screen, then scroll down to and click on "Cars, Hotrods & Trucks", and finally click on "Forced Induction Integras".

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
dude, I told you about jim. Anyways, was just wondering how you tuned it, and which way you have the checkvalve going...white part towards the needlevalve or away from the needle valve? And how much hose did you put between the check valve and the needle valve?

BTW, that link doesn't work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry, I didn't recognize you...guess I assumed anyone who knew about Jim wouldn't have a problem installing the cartech :) Just kidding. Off hand I can't remember which end is white and which end is black, but just blow through the valve. If air comes out the other side that is the side you attached the hose to. The cartech unit has to release pressure. If you attached the other end you will plug the unit and no pressure will be released. The valve only works one way....kinda like some people I know. The length of the hose doesn't matter. In fact, my brother installed some hose on both ends so he could route the check valve under the cartech unit rather than having it sticking up in the air like it's excited. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend, however, I have to warn you first, my camera sucks.

As for tuning it, I just used Jim's suggested fuel pressures, and the car runs great. I may do a little fine tuning with the air/fuel and fuel pressure guages. In the near future, I am going to take it back to Inline Pro to have them dyno it again.

P.S. Thanks for the advice on Jim, he solved all my problems over the phone.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Jim's the shit, but I feel I've bothered him enough as is... Thanks... I'll see what I can do with it this weekend before the Import Nationals... Gotta anhiliate all the ricers :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey man, GOOD LUCK!!! Kick some ricer butt!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.