Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

S-Video for PS2

774 views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Nobody You Know 
#1 ·
Does the S-Video make the quality look any better in a T.V. (not HDTV)? Also can I play my dvds through S-Video or do I have to play it the regular way?

Just wondering....

#3 ·
cool man :tu: I got one the only problem is that my PS2 is hooked up my vcr which is hooked up to my stereo and all that good stuff. I didn't feel like detaching my ps2 from all that mess. But I am gonna check it out and see if it really works.

thx
:)

#4 ·
HardKore said:
cool man :tu: I got one the only problem is that my PS2 is hooked up my vcr which is hooked up to my stereo and all that good stuff. I didn't feel like detaching my ps2 from all that mess. But I am gonna check it out and see if it really works.

thx

you can just plug in the svideo to the tv and then the rest of the audio cables in the stereo reciever :tu2:

#5 ·
damn I just finished testing that shit out and damn does it ever make a difference... picture is cripsper cleaner and the colors show up very well. I thought that it was gonna be little difference but i was wrong.

Pros: Brighter, clearer, stonger pictures

Cons: It makes everything so crisp that some "jaggies" might show up that you never really noticed...(but this is minimal and a small price to pay for everything else)

Im about to pop in Finding Nemo to see the difference :tu:

#6 ·
well Finding Nemo did show up a little better in the s- video than it did with the regular cable. You can really notice it in Nemo's orange color and when it shows sunlight shining through the water.

conclusion: All in all if you got s-video jack for your t.v. and and a spare 20 bucks go and get yourself a pair of s-cables for your t.v. It really looks better.

:tu:

#7 ·
HardKore said:
well Finding Nemo did show up a little better in the s- video than it did with the regular cable. You can really notice it in Nemo's orange color and when it shows sunlight shining through the water.

conclusion: All in all if you got s-video jack for your t.v. and and a spare 20 bucks go and get yourself a pair of s-cables for your t.v. It really looks better.

:tu:

actually if you went up the next step and use the color coded cables (green,ect,ect,) from your dvd player it would look even better :tu2: S-video is kinda the middle level to a clear picture

#8 ·
Stock? said:
actually if you went up the next step and use the color coded cables (green,ect,ect,) from your dvd player it would look even better :tu2: S-video is kinda the middle level to a clear picture
I would but my Ps2= my dvd player.... Is there a way around that? I'm not big on home electronics.

#12 ·
my ps2 is my only dvd player and im using componet video (the one with the green cable) and it looks a million times better. I just have a regular toshiba 29" i think, cant remember the size. Anyways, i think i got my cables at wal-mart maybe. ill check when i get home, im at school now.

#13 ·
ok i checked and i got my component video cables at best buy. They have them at wal mart also. They are dark green, light green, 2 reds, and 1 white. The only problem is you have to have component jacks on your tv and i think you mentioned that you use your vcr for your ps2 so that wouldnt work.

#14 ·
trail_boss2 said:
ok i checked and i got my component video cables at best buy. They have them at wal mart also. They are dark green, light green, 2 reds, and 1 white. The only problem is you have to have component jacks on your tv and i think you mentioned that you use your vcr for your ps2 so that wouldnt work.
well....now I have have my PS2 hooked up to my S-video jack. I looked behind my TV and have component video jacks. I see a blue, green, and a bunch of reds and whites. I just don't have an actual DVD player becuase my PS2 serves as it.

so do I still need component cables???

#15 ·
HardKore said:
well....now I have have my PS2 hooked up to my S-video jack. I looked behind my TV and have component video jacks. I see a blue, green, and a bunch of reds and whites. I just don't have an actual DVD player becuase my PS2 serves as it.

so do I still need component cables???
No you dont need them at all, but they will make even more of a difference than s-video will. If you have the component video jacks on your tv then go buy some and use them. i think they are like $20 or so. You can still use your ps2 for a dvd player, thats what i do. You will have 5 wire with the component video cable. the 5 i mentioned above. the 2 greens are video and the rest are audio i think. You should have no problems usuing component video with your tv. just unplug the s-video cable and plug all the component video cables in.;)

#17 ·
Much higher program production quality is possible in the component domain because analog compression is used to place the three channels of component information into the single channel of composite information. So it's lossless as opposed to lossy.

S-Video separates information into two signals: Chrominance (separates color information) and Luminance (brightness). This prevents color bleeding and dot crawl, and increases clarity and sharpness. Once the information is finally delivered to the TV it is done so as a single signal over one wire.

#18 ·
trail_boss2 said:
No you dont need them at all, but they will make even more of a difference than s-video will. If you have the component video jacks on your tv then go buy some and use them. i think they are like $20 or so. You can still use your ps2 for a dvd player, thats what i do. You will have 5 wire with the component video cable. the 5 i mentioned above. the 2 greens are video and the rest are audio i think. You should have no problems usuing component video with your tv. just unplug the s-video cable and plug all the component video cables in.;)
wait a sec... you mean that they make component cables that I can use for my PS2?... :confizzled:

btw....wppt Manhunt comes out today.... it is supposed to be BANNED pretty soon thats why the game has not been advertised or anything on tv. I'm gonna check it out when I get out of school.

#19 ·
HardKore said:
wait a sec... you mean that they make component cables that I can use for my PS2?... :confizzled:

btw....wppt Manhunt comes out today.... it is supposed to be BANNED pretty soon thats why the game has not been advertised or anything on tv. I'm gonna check it out when I get out of school.

what's manhunt? that a ps2 game?

#21 ·
AlSi said:
what's manhunt? that a ps2 game?
yeahh.....I just the game 5 minutes ago :eek:
Its for PS2 only made by Rockstar... The creaters of Grand Theft Auto
I don't buy many games but this one looks good
I hope I'm not disapointed :)

one more thing.... the manager at Gamestop is a Deushe bag... that is all

Ohhh and thanks for the links :tu:

#22 ·
HardKore said:

Yes they do make them especially for ps2. Make sure if you get them you watch pop in finding nemo or another pixar movie so you can see the difference. You notice a big difference on your games and a huge difference on movies.

EDIT: O didnt see the link that alsi posted ro the cables. Im a little behind you guys.

#23 ·
Component cables is the best quality you can get, but if you are going to go with them then you should get the Monster Cable Components. Getting a cheap brand is like putting a geo metro in 745 BMW = half assed :D you get 156more colors with components as opposed to regular RCA jacks.

I have Monster everything on my 36" Wega and when i compare it to my parent's TV with just normal "Free" cables hooked up it looks like shit, you can literally see the lines across screen, snow effect, dot crawl, color bleeding etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.