Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a week ago i hydro locked my 99 si with only 55,000 miles on it. :noo. Who knew it would flood here in arizona. So I had it towed this past weekend and they mechanic said it would be 5600 dollars to replace my motor (with a remanufactured si motor. ) I Dont want to spend that type of money right now so i need some suggestions. Im looking probably to spent 3000-3500 at the very most. Im in college and funds are tight.

Im not to familiar with the hybrid motor swap and I am curious to how much it costs to do a LS motor. I know that is the cheapest way.

I guess my main questions will be, What motor will swap into my 99 Si easily and is thier other parts that i need to get. Anything i need to worry about. Thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
$5600!?!? good LAWD thats alotta money for that engine.
i know a gsr engine is like $4000 so im sure if you call up a few import shops in your area they can get you a good b16 for a little over $3000 if not less.
im a sohc guy but i do know that b16's, well im pretty sure you can get them for around $2000.
am i wrong guys/gals?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
You should be able to find another B16 for well under $2500 and since the tranny, axles, computer, wiring harness etc don't need to be replaced, it shouldn't cost you to much to have someone drop the motor in. Where did you get that quote from? Try going to Honamotive on the corner of Rio Salado and McClintock in tempe. They always treat me right.

http://www.honamotive.com/

Try going to SRD in the same area (shop is not to far from Honamotive) to see if they've got a motor for you.

http://www.superiorracing.com/Html/home.php

$5600 is outrageous!!!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
why not just get a B18C short block?

·
Registered
624 Posts
98civic4door said:
why not just get a B18C short block?
I like that idea. :D

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
....I got my b16 with 54k miles on it for 2200 shipped...complete swap.

But yeah with 5600 you could buy a b18c5 and a turbo kit!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i was very suprised when they said that. Arent LS motors cheap? Would a ls directly swap or is there a lot of things you need to get cutomized?

By the way guys, I must say ive been to a few forums and you guys already are helping me much more than the others. Is my best bet if i can get a motor from a junk yard or something and have them just drop it in?

THANKS!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peteex said:
You should be able to find another B16 for well under $2500 and since the tranny, axles, computer, wiring harness etc don't need to be replaced, it shouldn't cost you to much to have someone drop the motor in. Where did you get that quote from? Try going to Honamotive on the corner of Rio Salado and McClintock in tempe. They always treat me right.

http://www.honamotive.com/

Try going to SRD in the same area (shop is not to far from Honamotive) to see if they've got a motor for you.

http://www.superiorracing.com/Html/home.php

$5600 is outrageous!!!
Hey man thats close to where i live! Where you from. Im in Tempe. I brought my car to this place on rockford ave called Custom Gold. I was refered there from a teacher i had. I need to talk to the guys and let them know im not in the market for 5600 bucks. I will have to check that place out any more advice will be great! THANKS MAN

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
if you get a B18B you will be down 20hp with no VTEC,but you can put your B16 head on the B18B block to make a LS/VTEC and get around 180 or so hp but it takes a lil bit of work like plumbing the block for the oil to ingauge the VTEC.

IMHO look for a B18C1 short block cause with your B16 head you will allmost have a TYPE R engine but it will have slightly lower compression but you would still pull a good 20 more hp than your B16 and around 10 more ft lbs of TQ

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Yeah like everyone is saying replace it with a b18c block.

Look here's a b18c5 block for pretty cheap. here

Don't get a b18b.......you've already got a b16 head so if the head is fine then grab a b-series vtec block...preferably a type R!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thanks guys im really appreciating all your opinions!!! So my best bet is to get a Gsr block and put my head onto it. Is that a bolt on operation or is there work that is needed to be done to make that work? Thanks guys you have been great help. Hopefully i will get my car up and going with that.

*****GOOD NEWS*****

My insurance company was looking into the problem and found out that it is covered as an act of god. No deductables either. :D The next question is how much will they give me before the total my car. If they will give me 5600 dollars to fix my motor i will be a happy camper. At that point i should have a lot of choices. The insurance adjuster should be getting ahold of me soon with my car's location to go look at it. And i will give them the shop's quote. Let me knwo what you guys think. :number1

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im sure it can be fixed. I didnt blow a hole in it or anything. I think the mechanic is just too lazy and is looking for the easy way out of just swapping it out. Thats my oppinion. I had the motor turning over for awhile before it got locked up.

With all these recommendations of the b18c block that seems like my best bet. Can someone let me know what modifications need to be done to make them work together? thanks.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
kommon_sense said:
pretty sure that you will need a new header. I think other than that it just bolts in... you should do some research to find out if there will be any issues with wiring...
should be no issues,just put the head and intake mani off the b16 on the b18c short block

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
sinolimitssi said:
So a week ago i hydro locked my 99 si with only 55,000 miles on it. :noo. Who knew it would flood here in arizona. So I had it towed this past weekend and they mechanic said it would be 5600 dollars to replace my motor (with a remanufactured si motor. ) I Dont want to spend that type of money right now so i need some suggestions. Im looking probably to spent 3000-3500 at the very most. Im in college and funds are tight.

Im not to familiar with the hybrid motor swap and I am curious to how much it costs to do a LS motor. I know that is the cheapest way.

I guess my main questions will be, What motor will swap into my 99 Si easily and is thier other parts that i need to get. Anything i need to worry about. Thanks guys!!!!
www.importautosalvage.com

99 00 SI motor SWAP for 2500.

http://www.nyblock.com/ These guys are your best bet. You can get a new block and head from them and just bolt it into your car. P.S. Can I buy your old motor?!?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Depending what i do, if i end up replacing the whole engine i will sell my current one. But we will see what happens. if i can just get a block and put my head on to be goot to go that will make my day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another quick question. If i were to get 5600 from my insurance. Is there any way to get a complete turbo with motor install? Or is that stretching it. Peetex if you know of a place that i could talk to around here let me know. thanks man.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts