Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Justa quick ?....I got my first SATA Hard Drive the other day....when I go to boot with xp it can't recognize the hdd at all....am I missing something in set up???

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
yeah just hit f3 after it boots from the xp cd to load third party raid drivers and such

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
shouldnt the HD come with a install cd or disk? Just format it from the cd or disk if u have one. Fdisk and format doesnt work on newer HD thats specifically made for that program to format with. I think thats really stupid. My maxtor needed its own install cd to work or else i couldnt format it using fdisk first.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
you need to find out who manf you sata controller {Is it Silicon Image (Silxxxx), Intel, Nvidia Nforce, or what????}
You will need to obtain the drivers either by download or from cd they gave you with mbd. Find the folder with TXTSETUP.OEM and copy that entire directory contents to the root directory of a floppy disk.
I prefer to get updated drivers from the website of manf -
for example - I have Silicon Image Sil3114, so I downloaded the drivers from their website.

When you boot off XP CDROM to setup, you then have to insert that disk and press F6 to load third party drivers. It will then eventually prompt you to press 's' to specify a driver, and you choose your SATA driver with XP version and continue with setting up Windows XP.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Assuming you were able to boot in to windows XP,
you are probably using SATA hard drive as a secondary hdd.

Sounds like you need to format the hard drive.
Go to Start menu highlight "my computer" & right click the mouse. Go to "manage" option.
From there go to "Disk Management:

To the right of the screen it should list your hard drive.
Just format the hdd so window will recongize the NTFS.

SixthSpeedRacer said:
Justa quick ?....I got my first SATA Hard Drive the other day....when I go to boot with xp it can't recognize the hdd at all....am I missing something in set up???

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
nah, he is saying that windows xp setup does not recognize the hdd

Either way, you need to load the third party drivers:
Either in the begining during windows setup by pressing 'F6'
----or----
if you are already in windows from another hard drive:
from device manager update device driver wizard

If the Third party SATA controller is not installed in the hardware profile it will not be recognized by Windows Setup or Windows Explorer

I Love SATA Hard Drives!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Eh you have 3rd party SATA controller?

Does your motherboard see the hard drive?

SixthSpeedRacer said:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
the serial ata controller will see the hard drive - but windows (or windows setup) will not see the drive until the third party serial-ata drivers are specified.

Serial ATA controllers are not native to windows xp.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So your SATA controller is a card?
Not on board.

RunninSOHC said:
the serial ata controller will see the hard drive - but windows (or windows setup) will not see the drive until the third party serial-ata drivers are specified.

Serial ATA controllers are not native to windows xp.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
my serial ata controller is manufactured by Silicon Image (Sil3114) and is integrated on the motherboard. It is a third party controller, though - it is not integrated into the main BIOS (like the nvidia nforce3 serial ata controller).

The silicon image serial ata controller has it's own BIOS that comes after the motherboard's BIOS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts