Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
OK..this is a quick quesion. I was at a stop light....on my HONDA motorcycle(so i can post it here..lol). I was in the left lane...and a lady was in the right lane...in a suv. WEll...after the light turned green we both started moving. I knew the cop was behind be so i wasnt about to do anything stupid. WEll....he blew his lights and pulled me over. I knoiw i did nothing wrong becasue i was closely monitoring my speed. Well as it turned out my license was suspended( i didnt know it was). He said he pulled me over because he "randomly" ran my license plate and saw that it was suspended. He even said if it wasnt he would have let me go. Does he need PC to even run my license plate? or can he not do that without having PC? i mean...i was at a stoplight for christ's sake. what could he possibly pull me over for. I wasnt moving...bot feet where on the ground.....i was in neutral so i didnt have my hands on the grips. Thats the exact situation. So was he right to do that?

·
Registered
227 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
we can do random plate checks...Seen that many times where you jsut roll up on some car out of the blue and run the plates..great way to find a stolen car.
either way i got out of it becaue i was arrested...taken into custody and charged...but never read my miranda rights. it was a technicality that i was pulled over..so i used a technicality to get out of it. all charges were dropped.

·
Registered
227 Posts
425MPD said:
:nod It 's also a good way to find Warrants and DUS

Maybe its a technicality in FL. In Ohio I don't have to read the miranda rights for a DUS arrest because its a misdemeanor traffic offense not criminal.
well..i was in virginia at the time....and by what the lawyer told me...and its true becasue it got my charges dropped....when anyone...for any reason...is taken into custody and charged they MUST be read their miranda rights to make them aware....if they arent....that they have the right to remain silent...blah blah blah...you know them. If they arent aware of that right....anything they say cannot be used against them. well hell..you are a cop...you know how it goes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
425MPD said:
Not true. Miranda only applies when you are in custody and being interrogated. If you are arrested for DUS you are in custody I'm not investigating anything so I'm not going to ask any questions therefore Mirands is not needed.
well..i guess i didnt mention that part. i was questioned at the station...by the officer...and the magistrate.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Johnny Tran said:
Miranda ONLY applies during Custodial Interrogation. Meaning you are in custody (ie: not free to leave) and being questioned about something that your response will cause self incrimination. For example did you kill your wife?
Considering i was hadcuffed to a bar on the wall while to officer was asking me questions....and i was still in cuffs when i went before the magistrate...yeah...i wasnt thinking i could leave until the cuffs were off.....they would look kinda tacky walking around the beach :lol2

·
Registered
227 Posts
Johnny Tran said:
Ok... I never said that Miranda didnt apply in your case, I was just stating when it's needed.

Were the answers to the questions they were asking being used against you??? They had to have arrested you for a reason right??? If the officer had PC for the arrest (dont know what you got arrested for) he may not have needed you to say anything to build his case. Get what I'm saying??? Asking you why you were there, who you were with, etc...may not have been asked to prosecute you, the magistrate may have just been trying to determine if the officer made a lawful arrest.
I was pulled for DUS but my lawyer specifically stated that the officer did not read me the rights....and the judge didnt need to hear anymore. the officer admitted he didnt(which shocked the hell outta me) so the judge dismissed the whole case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.