Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
In california they can do hood pops all they want. Mainly because they see a lot of cars with illegal modifications they use the smog laws to get in. It sucks but thats how things are.
yea but is there a law on that? for an officer to look? what i hate is getting sent to the ref just because an officer doesnt knoe. i had the last guy say is umm all that legal i said yes and i showed him my carb numbers and he still sent me there and i passed :rolleyes wasting my time.

is all violations now referee signoff only? i had this ticket for modified exaust and i never recieved a letter for it

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
asianpride559 said:
yea but is there a law on that? for an officer to look? what i hate is getting sent to the ref just because an officer doesnt knoe. i had the last guy say is umm all that legal i said yes and i showed him my carb numbers and he still sent me there and i passed :rolleyes wasting my time.

is all violations now referee signoff only? i had this ticket for modified exaust and i never recieved a letter for it
There is no law that I can quote for hood pops cuz i dont know where to even look to find it. Just suffice it to say that they can do it.

and as far as everythhing going to the ref now..i'm not sure, I havent seen an equipment ticket in awhile.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
spitfire7rp said:
is it normal for cops to take interior panels off?
really depends on the situation. If a dog hits on the panel yes, if it looks like the panel is being used to hide weapons/paraphanalia then yes. But jsut as part of a search of the vehicle, not really.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
i have been search plenty of times back den and i dont recall them ripping into interior stuff

·
Registered
346 Posts
so what happends if you tell a cop no? will they find a reason to tickit you?

ive been pulled over for speeding and i was smoking a cig and the cop thought i was smoking weed and asked to search, i told him he could, he searched and found nothing and for his thanks of letting him search he let me go with a warning. but if i were to say no he couldnt search. than im sure i would have goten that speeding tickit.

one time me and my friends were chillin in the car in front of one of my other friends house waiting for him to get home, it was about 2 am , so we looked really suspicious cop pulls up asks if we are smoking weed. i said no . he asked to search the car i said go ahead. he searched and found nothing. but in that case if i were to not have let him search than what would he do?

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Well no, technically for a consent search the officer is supposed to ask to search the vehicle after he/she either decides to issue the a citation or a warning. “You are free to go, but before I cut you lose, would you have a problem with me searching your vehicle?” The idea behind it is that the driver is not supposed to feel obligated or trapped into letting the officer search the vehicle. Although this happens all the time, an officer is not supposed to use the ticket as leverage to get consent to search the vehicle.

·
Registered
779 Posts
search

here in ohio i heard that if you say no to the search you automaticly lose your licence for 1 yr because then you obviously have something your not supost to have, is that true or do i have the right to say no and still be able to drive haha

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
asianpride559 said:
i used to always think if im not doing anything wrong then they cant really search me but shit i was wrong

about 5 years ago i was pumping gas at a gas station which is next to a police station ok. i had 5 people with me. lucky me i pulled up to the pump and i guess the local gang task force was just coming out of a meeting. they aproched me and said wheres the drugs and guns at??? i told them i dont have none im pumping gas. so they wanted to search i said no and they told me why not i have something i hide. i told them if i did something wrong then they can search my car. they said just let us search and i still refused...about 15-30 mins of this they told me let us search and we will let u go. i still said no. they said ok if u think ur smart ur not...we will let u drive and we will pull u over when u make a mistake. so i said ok i feel sick im not going to drive ill have my car towed home. den they huddled back in they group(maybe like 10-15 of them) then they said ok ur car looks like a racer we will tow it for racing stuff and do a search on ur car after its towed so if theres guns or drugs we will find it so u might as well let us search now. i said hows that??im just pumping gas.then they said ok we will site u for modifications that we see...they threatened me with tickets on lowering, muffler, tinted windows, and a bunch of little shit. i said ok give me my ticket and let me go home. then they huddled up again and discussed it and they asked can we search? this lasted about 2 hours there ok and finally i said what do u guys want? they said to search. i said fuck forget it ill make a deal if i have no guns or drugs will u let me go for everything else? they said yes and they searched found nothing and let me go.

i still remember this story like it was yesterday. is that bullshit or is this legal? after that day everyone who tells me oh cops cant search without a reasonable cause....i tell them bullshit and tell my story.

i was pissed....i mean i would understand if i was robbing the store or something but i was just pumping gas. :eek
he had no reason to hold you. I forget the exact term but the do it alot in some parts of miami I think its called consentual conversation or some shit like that. where a cop will come up to you and start talking to you in order to find some reason to fuck with you. They tried to do that to me and a few freinds because we were in a really bad part of miami and we were just outside chilling in front of this kids apartment building. The cops rolled up and started talking to us and im like ok fuck this and I started walking off and the cop said where are u going and im like in my apartment later

Glenfiddich_man said:
There are a few way we can get into your vehicle, good things for you to know!

1. the easy way is Incident to arrest. If we have a reason to arrest you already (ie. hit and run, or no DL, warrant) We will search the car, we can also call this a inventory because the car will be towed and we want everything the be accounted for before we hand the vehicle off to a tow truck driver.

2. Second most common is the Consent search. We are a slick group of LEO's. We will do a lot to get you to consent to a search of your car. I will not say we lie but we could strech the truth. Do not feel guilty (even if you do have something in the car) if you refuse. I get refused a lot and can't do anything about it. Just stick to your guns. Remember if you say yes to a search and we find something its on you.

3. Plain view/Plain Smell If we can see it or smell it we are in! We may not have to see the whole object. Based on our training and experience we think the neck of that bottle leads to a 40oz of Colt 45 we will be able to search that area of the car.Now if it see a pipe (commonly used for smoking marijuana, and I can smell it) thats enough for me to go into the car and search the whole thing.

4. K-9 hit Variation on the plain smell. What we can do is call in K-9 to smell out the outside of the car. Here is the thing to remember, the K-9 must return in a reasonable amount of time. The bad news on this is you wil be hit up for everything the cop can get you for because he is using the time taken to write the tickets to account for why you were held for so long. Good thing to do is see when the traffic stop occured and when it was cleared. This will all be on record.

Might be more but i just woke up, I will keep you informed
with the dog thing that usually only happens in smaller areas. where I live its to big and they have to much to worry about to wait for the dogs or even care to take it that far unless somethings really up. I hear about them actually bringing the dogs more up north but it rarely happens here in miami unless something is really up. the dogs only allowed to smell the outside of the car to right?

BabyVadah said:
So basically, if an officer wants to search your car, he can even without consent. (PC, or protective search of a vehicle)

So if you have your glove compartment locked, can the cops not look in there?
it depends on the situation.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
mrmyz said:
with the dog thing that usually only happens in smaller areas. where I live its to big and they have to much to worry about to wait for the dogs or even care to take it that far unless somethings really up. I hear about them actually bringing the dogs more up north but it rarely happens here in miami unless something is really up. the dogs only allowed to smell the outside of the car to right?
unless you get stopped by a K-9 handler, then your facked :p

·
Registered
371 Posts
With the Patriot Act in effect for the past few years, can't law enforcement search a vehicle (or anything else) at will anyways?

G

·
So my car can be searched regardless of what I say?

If I were to say, "you can search my car as soon as your Supervising Officer and my lawyer arrive," do they have to wait?

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
gibbletz said:
With the Patriot Act in effect for the past few years, can't law enforcement search a vehicle (or anything else) at will anyways?
no, the search and seizure laws are still basically the same.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Civic Ex Chick said:
So my car can be searched regardless of what I say?

If I were to say, "you can search my car as soon as your Supervising Officer and my lawyer arrive," do they have to wait?
it all depends on the situation. If we have PC to search, we will search no matter what you say. We jsut ask to see if you will admit to anything, try to hide something, etc. Now if we jsut want to search and have nothign to use to get in the car, and you say we can based on those circumstances, its a waste of our time. But we may start digging to find a way in. Because you arn't ENTITLED to have yoru lawyer there for a vehicle search. SO that really doesn't matter. As far as waiting for a supervisor, if we really think you are hiding something and we want in, we may call a sup. out there and see what we can dig up.

G

·
So basically, you can do whatever you want? There is nothing really to protect someone (if, of course, they aren't hiding anything) from having their car searched. If you want to search someone's car, you're going to find a way to do it.

And I'm not saying, "you," as in you, just in general.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Civic Ex Chick said:
So basically, you can do whatever you want? There is nothing really to protect someone (if, of course, they aren't hiding anything) from having their car searched. If you want to search someone's car, you're going to find a way to do it.

And I'm not saying, "you," as in you, just in general.
well...you are protected. Which is why we cant jsut walk up, rip you out of the car, tear through yrou car, and leve. We have guidelines that we haev to follow and certain things we have to show to be able to get into the car. But it is fairly easy to get in a car if we really want to get in. BUt there are times when no matter what you do, you jsut can't get in the car legally. And you knwo the guy is dirty as sin..but you jstu cant prove it..then you jsut have to let him go.

G

·
So, in theory, could I be pulled over, and have the Officer claim he smells marijuana (when he doesn't) and search my car? Is there anything to stop him from that (other than a conscious)

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to understand how some of these laws are expected to work.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Civic Ex Chick said:
So, in theory, could I be pulled over, and have the Officer claim he smells marijuana (when he doesn't) and search my car? Is there anything to stop him from that (other than a conscious)

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to understand how some of these laws are expected to work.
If you smell it inside the vehicle the car is yours. Because at that point you would be pulling the driver out to check for symptoms of marijuana use and if they do show signs of it then they are going to jail.

But basically, there is nothing stopping him from that other then conscious.I mean yea, the law is stopping him from it. BUt if he is already lyign about it then the law mean snothing to him.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Ok I have a question... about 2 yrs ago three of us were driving home late one night from a club, cop pulled us over for a headlight out. No biggie, didnt know it was out. But the first thing he said after he asked the driver for license and reg is "have you been drinking or smoking?" ok... reasonable question, we hadnt had anything to drink or smoke, so we said no, he replies "yes you have, you have to be, why else would 3 20 yr olds be driving at 3am". WTF!!!! There was no bottles of even pop in the car, no one even smoked cigs in the car, let alone anything else. He had us all stand outside of the car in a line about 20ft apart, told us if we moved or even spoke he was going to arrest us, searched each one of us, patted us down, emptied our pockets, found nothin on us. Searched the car, violently, ripping stuff apart, throwing things around, found nothing. Then let us go. I thought it was bullshit. And when I feel a officer is wrongfully accusing me of something I get extremely cocky and should keep my mouth shut but I dont, but I watch what I say and twist things around and have had a couple officers stummble over there words with no answers but those are difefrent stories. Anyways, was this just some pissed that he didnt get laid the night before officer out to be an ass? My friend never gave permission to search his car, the officer just told us not to say anything then started searching. Could he have done that or was that wrong?

And one more inncident... I was with a friend, got pulled over for speeding I think, it was a while ago. Officer was real nice, asked to search the car my buddy said yes there was nothing to hide, when the officer searched the trunk he smashed through the subs!!!! My buddues like WTF!!!! Said he ws checking for and drugs that might be hidden in the box. Now to me he shouldnt have been able to do that. Right?

Just wanted to add I have no problem with cops, untill they wrongfully accuse me or are asses, which I will be an ass back. I have know plenty of cool cops.. but there are the ones who are just asses. Shit I know a few cops that built a 10sec mustang and race it along side of me at the track! And I know a few that have ran me on the street in the squad cars, which are slow by the way... :D

21 - 40 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.