Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

sentra v-spec or mazdaspeed protege?

858 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  imported 
#1 ·
my car will be payed off pretty soon, and i was thinking about getting something that is fast and already put together in a four door package. i need the extra 2 doors because i have a kid. anyways, which one would you guys go with, the sentra v-spec or the mazda speed protege. both have some awsome stock platforms, but the protege is awsome right of the lot. i believe the v-spec makes 175hp n/a, while the protege makes 170hp with a turbo. what would you get between the two.:)

#3 ·
the mazda has the better stereo and suspension

the engines are comparable to each other...both have a good amount of torque

think the mazda looks better
spec v looks like an egg on dubs...if that makes any sense. lol

i'm surprised mazda didn't have to do much else to make it a turbo engine....i guess whoever has the n/a variant has a strong little focker of an engine

#5 ·
i thought i read that the new turbo mazda was going to only be 150 horse but a good amount of torque.. like 150 lbs of torque.. oh well maybe my eyes were playing tricks on meh :rolleyes:

#7 ·
i'd take the nissan the power in the protege is probably closed to being maxed ...while the nissan make 5 more horses without the turbo..not to mention 175 hrses out of that 2.4 is not right they say extracting and extra 25 to 30 isnt that hard..

#8 ·
specV is probably faster but it DOES look like an egg

the mazdaspeed protege is soooo nice, so much stuff already done to it.. handling is probably among the best of an import car.. i think it'z 170hp from the factory at only 5psi.. i read in superstreet or something that the block is pretty strong and they brought up a turbo MP3 to around 300+hp.. so you could just change some internals and increase the boost level

but if you want the king of import sport sedans, go for a WRX :D .. can't go wrong there

#9 ·
i saw the sentra spec r with the 6speed at the philly auto convention last year, i really liked it , but havent seen many of them on the street, come to think of it, i have only seen 1 2002 honda civic si on the street as well, i guess they didnt sell very well, being the dealership where i bought my car at has had like 10 of them back on the lot for some time now, oh well , they should go back to somethin like the 99-00 models

#10 ·
The mazda would probably be the best choice right out of the box, better handling, better looking, better stereo, but not much potential for responding to mods, the engine is already running at I believe 12-15lbs of boost right from the factory which seems a little strange considering it only makes 40 more hp than stock. Though it's very possible that it could be just as responsive to mods as the VW/Audi 1.8T. The sentra is nice, but hasn't lived up to what was originally thought, it does look nice from the front, but in my mind it could of used a little more thought from the back, and again I do believe the stock compression ratio is quite high on the engine so even though the it is NA, adding FI might be quite difficult. I say go for the mazda.

#13 ·
Mazdaspeed protoge...SCC says it handles in porsche territory (slalom and i think skid etc..)...they even ranked it better overall than the beloved and king ITR.

Mazda seems to produce some very good handling cars, miata, then the mp3, now the mazdaspeed protoge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.