Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side door handle is all messed up after someone tried to break into my car a month ago. I was going to replace the handle, but then decided I should just shave both handles instead. What all do I need to accomplish this? I've already got the door covered as far as opening it is concerned. I found a Spal remote door opening kit online, comes with 2 selonoids, the brain, and remotes to open both doors once I get them shaved. The only thing I need to know is what do I use to fill the area where my handles go once I get them off? Do they make a kit for my car for filling the holes? If so, where could I find it? I plan on having everything done with the month if I could just find out all I need. Also, any other tips/ suggestion are always much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I think most people just pull out the handles, weld in some sheet metal, sand it down smooth as silk, and paint.
'edit'
i wonder if you can find kits that come with precut sheet metal??

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I was talking about. I've seen some pre cut sheet metal before but I forgot where. They do make such a kit, I just wanna know where I can find it again.

·
Registered
553 Posts
i shaved my door handles. just pull your handles out and grind down surrounding paint/primer to bare metal. weld a piece of sheet metal behind it and put down some layers of bondo til it's smooth. it's also a good idea to put a layer of fiberglass on the bondo afterwards (it'll hold the bondo in place to prevent it from shifting, which could happen if you use cheap bondo).

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm really interested in doing this. How much do the door opener kits usually cost? Are the kits extremely reliable? (last thing I'd want is to be completely locked out of the vehicle) And how much would a shop typically charge for the work?

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
ninjacookies said:
I'm really interested in doing this. How much do the door opener kits usually cost? Are the kits extremely reliable? (last thing I'd want is to be completely locked out of the vehicle) And how much would a shop typically charge for the work?
there are door poppers that you can install under the car if the solenoids do fail. as far as using bondo, ive seen guys who have shaved thier door handles, and the bondo would eventually crack-imo, i would have a shop do this type of work, or at least the body work-i dont think that installing the solenoids would be too difficult. ive never heard of kits being made that would fit the space where the door handle would go-i guess that would help save some $$$ on custom work-g/l

btw-zensokuracer13-your car looks sweet man-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts