Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girl's Del Sol S 1.5L SOHC w/Auto tranny was having some issues today shifting from park to reverse or shifting to any gear period. I narrowed down pretty easily what the problem is but wanted an opinion on maybe how to fix it or how much it would cost a mechanic to fix.

Explanation: With most cars you press the break to shift from park to any gear you choose. Well, when the brake is pressed down you can hear a clicking noise which to me sounds like the shift lock trying to disengage but it never actually does. So turn the car off and use the shift lock release to put in neutral and turn the car back on then it is ok.

Anyone else had this issue and if so, what did it take to fix it? I have yet to tear it apart with my busy schedule.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2,231 Posts
Had a similar problem with my civic. It turned out to be a problem with the brake switch. It had alot of crud built up in the switch so the button part was sticking in. It also caused the brake lights to not come on. I sprayed WD40 in the spaces around the button and pressed it over and over so the button would move freely. Havnt had an issue since.

· Registered
478 Posts
If your brake lights are coming on and you are hearing a clicking sound at the center console then you are having a mechanical problem at the shift lock release solenoid. Take it apart to get a peak at the inside of the shifter mechanism but don't be too surprised if you have to replace the solenoid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.