Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, for a couple months+ now I've been having trouble with my Civic when I drive it for the first time on any given day. I'll drive it for about the first 10-15 minutes and it feels like I'm driving a car with a Clutchmasters stage 4 or some ish. I'm a really good shifter/driver and when things are going fine later in a day, I'm able to make smoother shifts.

A related issue to this, is that my gas pedal is pretty poppy. It's not as smooth as it should be, especially during the first drive of the day. The transition from no to very little gas is hard to make because the pedal will jerk down the first 1/5 of depression. This rigidity happens with the gas pedal no matter how long I take to apply even pressure when trying to accelerate.

This really pisses me off, as you can imagine.

Your thoughts on this, and advice, are and is welcome.

· Registered
1,142 Posts
do you start your car and go right away?
or do you start it up and let the engine warm up?

a gradual warmup is much "healthier" for your engine. . . everything needs to heat up to optimum operating temperature. i try to let my car warm up for maybe a minute or two, and then i won't drive over 3000rpm until the oil temperature is decent (i guess water temp too).

· Registered
6,555 Posts
have you tried using a different tranny oil?? for example if you use regular HMT fluid you should try the Red line oil. it might make a difference.

as for your gas pedal....sounds like something gets stuck or is obstructed. i would check the accelerator cable, the throttle body linkage.
just my 2 cents. thats all i could think of right now.

· Registered
141 Posts
My dad's camry had the same problem with the gas pedal. It would feel really stiff and it took a lot of pressure to push it down. We went to the toyota dealer and had it checked out, they said it was a result of using cheap or dirty gas. There were a lot of carbon deposits in the throttle body or something, I forgot where it was, but they took it apart and cleaned it up. It works fine now.

· Registered
29 Posts
hondriv said:
My dad's camry had the same problem with the gas pedal. It would feel really stiff and it took a lot of pressure to push it down. We went to the toyota dealer and had it checked out, they said it was a result of using cheap or dirty gas. There were a lot of carbon deposits in the throttle body or something, I forgot where it was, but they took it apart and cleaned it up. It works fine now.
Same here..my homies car had the same problem...it would be that soo much deposits got into the throttle body that it would stick to the walls... jsut remove the throttle body and clean it...
get like brake cleaner or carberator cleaner to wash aaway that shit...and when u remove the gunk..make sure u dont use anything that kan scratchteh throttle body..otherwise...instead of having good air flow...ull have holes in the throttle that ull have lots of air flow....

i thinik there is a screw on the throttle body u kan tighten or losen also...i forgot...it makes the springs harder to turn...so i think u kan losen it but check the throttle body first...and clean that nukka up! and if it still sticks..then check the springs

· Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, we had an Infiniti J30 with throttle body deposits which made for a sticky accellerator pedal. Check yours out.

Actually, does the accellerator pedal actually feel physically stiff, or does the car hesistate in the first few inches of pedal depression? Those could mean two different things.

As for your shifts, do you have a short shifter? I installed my short shifter with some buddies, and it wasn't exactly a professional install. The shifter is a little sticky sometimes between 1, 2, and 3. I bought bushings but still need to install them. I also suspect that I should kinda realign everything under there. Just sorta loosen everything, and the retighten, so it can shift into natural position. Who knows.

· Registered
29 Posts
civperc said:
the pedal feels physically stiff. so I guess I need to remove my AEM intake, and then wipe the inside of the throttle body neck?
yeah u go do that..and if its still stiff...grease ur throttle body at where the springs are... just like oiling the door...same shit...ill help the springs to loosen up...but im pretty sure its the throttle body..if not...and still stiff...spray the springs with carbuator cleaner and then grease it... and see how it goes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.