Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got sick of the metallic knocking from the rear so I decided to fix it. I went and ordered the TSB 00-090 replacement part which were like $10 a piece. Unlike what the FAQ says, you don't have to disassemble the rear suspension to fix the shock collar which causes the knock.

Start off by removing the trunk lining to access the strut mounts. Take a 5 mm allen wrench and put it into the slot on the top of the strut to keep the it from spinning and remove the 14 mm nut from shaft of the strut. Take off the washer and pry the upper bushing out using a small screwdriver which will give you access to the shock collar. Use a set of pliers to pull the collar off of the shaft. I sprayed the lower bushing with silicone to make it easier to install the new collar. Put the bushing and washer back on then tighten down the nut.

It's a really simple fix to an anoying problem. Overall it only took me a half hour to do.

Diameter difference between new collar (left) and the old one

Height Difference

Strut with nut and washer removed

Strut with upper bushing removed showing the collar

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
nice dude, I know Honda charges some 180 bucks just to replace this shit.
I'll try to get it sometime this week and try to fix it over the w/end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
nice photos, wish this was available a few weeks ago when i fixed mine, but oh well. just wanted to make a note that you can cut 2-3 mm off the stock collar and it'll do the same thing. i used a saw and it didnt take too long to cut both down and it worked like a charm! :clap

·
Registered
296 Posts
can you describe the type of knocking that you had ? under what driving conditions, and so on...when i installed my suspension, the collars were fine...but i get a weird knock...leading me to believe it is one of the ball joints that is bad...but i may also check for this...so if u can please give me some descriptions, that ll help to see if my problem is the same...

thx

·
Registered
12 Posts
some have claimed that the "shock knock" comes from two braces under the rear seats. However, I along with others have found the noise to come from the rear shocks. You'll notice a sharp/loud knock whenever you go over a bump/pothole/or uneven ground. You may also notice that you only hear it on one side. Anyways, there's already a thread on "shock knock" so i suggest you look it over to get more details

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Great tips and photos. Ive had the collars for months now, but been waiting until i buy new struts to replace. Ill do it this way tonite!!!! Thanks alot, you get the REP! :number1

·
Registered
296 Posts
likwid04 said:
some have claimed that the "shock knock" comes from two braces under the rear seats. However, I along with others have found the noise to come from the rear shocks. You'll notice a sharp/loud knock whenever you go over a bump/pothole/or uneven ground. You may also notice that you only hear it on one side. Anyways, there's already a thread on "shock knock" so i suggest you look it over to get more details
thx for the link...it does sound like what i have been having altho my conclusion was that the ball joint was bad, and i was about to replace it, but this is a much easier and cheaper solution fix, so i hope thats it.

is the replacement collar part number the same for 4th gens ?

the knock does indeed only occur on one side, the passenger rear for me...is there a reason to this? why not all 4? should i just replace the one causing the problem? i m thinking about replacing all 4 at the same thing since I will be doing other suspension adjustments.

thx

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Si_g said:
thx for the link...it does sound like what i have been having altho my conclusion was that the ball joint was bad, and i was about to replace it, but this is a much easier and cheaper solution fix, so i hope thats it.

is the replacement collar part number the same for 4th gens ?

the knock does indeed only occur on one side, the passenger rear for me...is there a reason to this? why not all 4? should i just replace the one causing the problem? i m thinking about replacing all 4 at the same thing since I will be doing other suspension adjustments.

thx
it only occcurs in the rear suspension because as you can see those are the collars that were made a bit too long. If you dissasemble the suspension (which I'm sure you have) you'll notice where the collar will hit. When I put in my new shocks I cut each one (like 1/4 inch...i think i cut wayyy too much). But yeah, the fronts don't do it.

also the part number is the same for both generations as the suspension components are similar.

·
Registered
296 Posts
WillyG said:
it only occcurs in the rear suspension because as you can see those are the collars that were made a bit too long. If you dissasemble the suspension (which I'm sure you have) you'll notice where the collar will hit. When I put in my new shocks I cut each one (like 1/4 inch...i think i cut wayyy too much). But yeah, the fronts don't do it.

also the part number is the same for both generations as the suspension components are similar.
I remember puttin the collars back, but i never paid attention to them...i did go to honda today to ask about those replacement collars...the guy told me there was never any...so that confused me...i was about to order when he told me the one I was going to order were 28 cents each for the rear...he also added that they were of the same spec of the ones that are supposed to already be on my car...so i told him to hold off on the order until i can find out whats going on.

Where am I supposed to order this part from? I told the guy i needed TSB 00-090, he told me that wasnt a honda part number, so i had him print out the shock assembly, and pointed out #15, which is the color, and he said the only ones available to order were not marked as replacements or any kind...unless they did not specify that they ever made replacements for them...but 28 cents each...didnt make sense when the thread starter paid 10$.

let me know whats up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Si_g said:
I remember puttin the collars back, but i never paid attention to them...i did go to honda today to ask about those replacement collars...the guy told me there was never any...so that confused me...i was about to order when he told me the one I was going to order were 28 cents each for the rear...he also added that they were of the same spec of the ones that are supposed to already be on my car...so i told him to hold off on the order until i can find out whats going on.

Where am I supposed to order this part from? I told the guy i needed TSB 00-090, he told me that wasnt a honda part number, so i had him print out the shock assembly, and pointed out #15, which is the color, and he said the only ones available to order were not marked as replacements or any kind...unless they did not specify that they ever made replacements for them...but 28 cents each...didnt make sense when the thread starter paid 10$.

let me know whats up.
The TSB 00-090 is a service bulletin number. They should have been able to look that up. I pulled out my receipt and the part number is 52728-S30-004.

·
Registered
296 Posts
ok that works...and this part number is the same for 4th and 5t gens correct?

i ll try them 2morrow and see what they can come up with...thx

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yeah, the dumbass at Honda should have known that the TSB # would be referenced under Technical Service Bulletin. I had the same problem, thing was i had to explain to the dumbass parts guy about the TSB altogether. the collars are like $7 if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
yep...sticky for sure. This is the first writeup with pics that we can actually USE. It shows that it's damn easy to fix the problem.

anyone know if I could have caused damage by cutting the collars wayy to short? if not, I'll keep em, but if it's dangerous (i'm sure they are there for a reason) I'll get the honda replacement part.

·
Registered
22,822 Posts
yeah can we get an admin to put this is the FAQs, i wanna do this when i get my tranny issues resolved, or and rep +1

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey Jesus(hhmmmm Blake)

Why haven't you sticky'ed this yet, it definately belongs in the how to! This guy rocks! I think for sheer fixing an ongoing BS nightmare, he should get SH member of the Month , or something (maybe a free shirt---does jesus have that kind of power?!?!)

Either way, I am stoked! You Rock Jelly Dude!!!!!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
WillyG said:
yep...sticky for sure. This is the first writeup with pics that we can actually USE. It shows that it's damn easy to fix the problem.

anyone know if I could have caused damage by cutting the collars wayy to short? if not, I'll keep em, but if it's dangerous (i'm sure they are there for a reason) I'll get the honda replacement part.

I dont know if it matters or not, but if youre worried about it, you know its only $10 +/-, and its really easy to fix!!! :p

1 - 20 of 51 Posts