Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
JBzaAccord said:
The TSB 00-090 is a service bulletin number. They should have been able to look that up. I pulled out my receipt and the part number is 52728-S30-004.
i was able to get it ordered today...the same dumbass that was there yesterday had no idea of the TSB...well at least he told me they may have one out in the shop, so its a good thing you gaveme that part number...other dealership in town had any including theirs, so he ordered it for me, hopefully it ll be here by next week. I knew it was the right part cause it cost 7.14$ compared to the 28cents he quoted me with yesterday. I only ordered 2, that i ll be using in the rear, cause someone mentionned that the front did not need to be replaced...

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
TheRedPill said:
Why haven't you sticky'ed this yet, it definately belongs in the how to! This guy rocks! I think for sheer fixing an ongoing BS nightmare, he should get SH member of the Month , or something (maybe a free shirt---does jesus have that kind of power?!?!)

Either way, I am stoked! You Rock Jelly Dude!!!!!
i dunno how i missed this :confused

·
Registered
626 Posts
This is gold.... lol

I noticed that my rear started making this knocking noise also when going over harsh bumps..

Its more of a clunking sound on mine... i thought maybe the rear seat or the dash was loose... but had a strong suspicion that it was suspension related...

but now im totally relieved to learn that its a DIY job and really inexpensive.. :clap

·
Registered
626 Posts
Do any of you guys with '01 ludes have this problem with shock knock??

I was just at the dealer and I picked up a pair of part 52728-s30-004. But he told me that since mine was an '01 it should already be changed... :confused

Oh well.. all i know that i get a knocking sound in mine when going over bumps... and i'll have to pop them out to see if in fact they were changed for the '01s or not...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here is the actual TSB. Its states that it is for all 5th gens (97-01). It also has a good diagram of the mount components.

·
Registered
234 Posts
likwid04 said:
some have claimed that the "shock knock" comes from two braces under the rear seats. However, I along with others have found the noise to come from the rear shocks. You'll notice a sharp/loud knock whenever you go over a bump/pothole/or uneven ground. You may also notice that you only hear it on one side. Anyways, there's already a thread on "shock knock" so i suggest you look it over to get more details

i have a problem with my shocks, but i don't know if this is "shock knocking" because it doesn't have the sharp/loud noise that you described. it is loud, but it is kinda soft....know what i mean? not soft as in volume, but as in pitch. it isn't very sharp. it's coming from the rear passenger, and it's every time i hit things like small potholes or something like that. and the when i do hit the pothole, it makes that noise several times. is my shock blown, or is this the same problem that everyone else has? i have Kyb Agx with HR Sports.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can this cheap fix be done on the front shocks too?
Every one posted so far has had rear problems, but my 98 Lude has it on the front. It actually has poked 2 holes up through the metal (almost through the hood) Can I do the same thing on the front shocks?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
this has been dead for awhile...but i just got the part and have a question.

so i cant get the top bolt off of the suspension. im in my trunk, have a 5 mm allen wrench in the top of the bolt, have a 14 mm wrench around the bolt, and i am pushing the wrench as hard as i can (hitting it with hammers, getting other people to help me) toward the front of the car while pulling the allen wrench the opposite way. it wont budge! i've but some wd40 on it a few times and waited for it to sink in, and still nothing! anyone else have this problem? it's getting dark outside...

:mad

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
nevermind guys, i went out there again and i dont know what changed, but it came off. i guess it just needed time. took her for a spin after i changed the collars (which took like 10 mins after i got that nut loose btw) and the new collars made a definite difference. :number1

·
Registered
118 Posts
THANKS!!!

JBzaAccord said:
Here is the actual TSB. Its states that it is for all 5th gens (97-01). It also has a good diagram of the mount components.

thanks for this bro! i actually printed this out and took it to my dealer and they fixed the problem free of charge! no more clunking! TG!

JMomo :w00t

·
Registered
118 Posts
yes

chanluder said:
this should be in the sticky or faq.
i SECOND that notion!
hey, who is this girl on your post? LOL

JMomo

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I had some similar noises going on in the rear end of my car. I don't know if shock knock was ever part of it, cause I trimmed down the collars a while back and it didn't fix the noises back there.

In my case it was actually the sway bar end links making the noise. when I changed my sway bars I used the same end links. They were tight enough at first cause the noise didn't start right away, but apparently over time the loosened up slightly and moved within the mounting hole. I ended up getting new endlinks cause I thrashed mine getting them off my sway bar cause the bolts were frozen on there. Either way, it fixed my problem, no more noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The diagram shows that the top self-locking nut needs to be replaced during reassembly. Why? Is this really necessary? Any torque settings for reassembly? Also, just to make sure, I can do this without taking the shock out or compressing the spring, right? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
pgold21 said:
The diagram shows that the top self-locking nut needs to be replaced during reassembly. Why?
Any self-locking nut is a one time use nut. Though they get reused without failure all the time, nobody that could be held liable would ever suggest reusing one.

pgold21 said:
Also, just to make sure, I can do this without taking the shock out or compressing the spring, right?
Only the bushing and nut need to be removed from the shaft. The shock does not have to removed or compressed to do this. You don't even need to jack the car up, just open your trunk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried taking the printed TSB to the dealer and all they could tell me was that each piece was $17. This after even telling them I ha just gotten my Honda and was trying to find a local dealer to get factory parts and service from. Oh well. Guess Honda of Clear Lake is not looking for any new customers...

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
You sure it wasnt just that the bushing were worn?? If you watch your shock as you drive those top bushings bounce up and down a lott and absorb the tiny bumps .. I wish PROTHANE or someone would make the bushing is urethane, but so far I only seen them for the front.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts