Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, a while ago i saw i think it was BDC post up a pic explaining the short throw effect. If somebody remembers the thread can they please post it.

But now i've got another theory(not mine from another board and to me it works but just hurts my head to believe it), and before i go out and work it I want to see what you all have got to say.

I kno this does not shorten the throw of your shift, but it does reduce how much you have to move the shifter right? Giving the same effect? And yes the force you have to put against the shifter will increase.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trentdx said:
no, that isn't the same effect...

here's the problem, ppl think that a short shifter is just shorter on top, which may or may not always be the case

for example my junk2 er i mean skunk2 short shifter is the same height as a factory one

but the section below the pivit is longer, makeing this section longer allow you to move the
shiftlinkage the same distance, but the upper part will be at a lesser angle

some companys also short the top and lenghten the bottem, lessening the throw
but, with just a diffrent knob you can lower the shifter height, ie. my factory knob is about 2 inchs higher than
with a greddy knob, offten time you'll see ppl use a weighted knob to offset the
extra restiance that the true short shifter causes, (think skunk knob and shifter combo)

so no, just cutting down a shifter isn't going truly shorten the throw, just you hand will have to reach lower to shift...
Thats great stuff but take into account I already know it. Now look at the picture again, you said Just your hand will have to reach lowr to shift, thats tru but look at what else, the shift is the same correct? so now look at how much you actually have to move the shift knob, isnt the distance between the first pair of shifting LARGER than the displacement of shifting between the second (shorter) pair?

What i mean is; there is less movement on this shifter for the same movement of the metal beneath the ball.

If somebody still doesnt get it, imagine a very very very long shifter, a metre long and below the ball is the same lenght. So if u were to shift from the top way at the knob there would be so much more movement right? now what if you grabbed it from way below, near the boot? wouldnt there be alot less movement?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.