Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gay to the Max
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok just finished installing my short shifter. i noticed the shifter rattles becoz the exhaust pipe is touching the shift arm! what the hell? is the shift arm suppose to touch the exhaust pipe? is this normal or i just got the wrong short shifter? anyone? also theres a little bit more pressure when i shift to reverse or 5th. anyone got the some problem?

·
Registered
31 Posts
when my trans is in 2nd or 4th my boot tightens and wont let it sta in gear unless i hold it there. I put a red boot on and it was a little small and it pulls the shifter back....if the shifter got lower and allowed more boot to move then i wont have to hold it in gear...hopefully that makes sence

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
MAXboost said:
ok just finished installing my short shifter. i noticed the shifter rattles becoz the exhaust pipe is touching the shift arm! what the hell? is the shift arm suppose to touch the exhaust pipe? is this normal or i just got the wrong short shifter? anyone? also theres a little bit more pressure when i shift to reverse or 5th. anyone got the some problem?
you sure it's hitting the exhaust pipe and not the exhaust heat shield??

you can cut off the heat shield so it doesn't bind as badly...

·
Gay to the Max
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stackz said:
you sure it's hitting the exhaust pipe and not the exhaust heat shield??

you can cut off the heat shield so it doesn't bind as badly...

its actually touching the heat shield, the heat shield is welded to the pipe and looks hard to remove. and im concern about having too much heat to the shifter and melting the rubber boots. im planning on getting a greddy evo cat back. hope it'll get rid of this problem since it doesnt have heat sink.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
MAXboost said:
its actually touching the heat shield, the heat shield is welded to the pipe and looks hard to remove. and im concern about having too much heat to the shifter and melting the rubber boots. im planning on getting a greddy evo cat back. hope it'll get rid of this problem since it doesnt have heat sink.
I just took my car to meineke and they ripped the heat shield off for me for $10. I've got one of those type-r aluminum handles and it never gets too bad. It gets warm but not bad...actually acts like a lil hand warmer in the winter :p

·
Registered
604 Posts
slow99si said:
does the shifter height shrink with a shorty or does it stay that high? My shift boot stretches out and pulls the shifter back.... thanks
I cut about 2 inches off the top of mine, works great. Don't do this unless you have an aftermarket shift knob with set screws (I have a Momo) since the top of the shifter won't be threaded AND the diameter will be bigger.

Cutting it shorter should also alleviate the problem of the aluminum shifters breaking. Now the point where my knob mounts to the shifter is bigger than the top since the shifter is tapered.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tried to Install Short Shifter

Ok i tried to install a short shifter in my 98 civic ex coupe, I got underneath the car and the stupid bolts to the mid section are all rusted over and every time i try to get them off the bolts literally just crap and break along with the rust. Ive tried spraying them with rust remover and everything. I dont know what to do. And im also very confused about the install. I'm sure what thing to unbolt and i'm just a mess. LOL Its been a bad week.
HELP

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Re: Tried to Install Short Shifter

JustinJ14 said:
Ok i tried to install a short shifter in my 98 civic ex coupe, I got underneath the car and the stupid bolts to the mid section are all rusted over and every time i try to get them off the bolts literally just crap and break along with the rust. Ive tried spraying them with rust remover and everything. I dont know what to do. And im also very confused about the install. I'm sure what thing to unbolt and i'm just a mess. LOL Its been a bad week.
HELP
Do what I do... stop, work on something else, and then go back to it, magically the bolts come off, especially when you don't expect them to. At least it happens to me every time, but then again I am using the proper tools. Try using a longer breaker bar and/or pneumatic tools to try and break it loose. If they're stripped you will have to drill or cut them off. Good luck... also can you take a picture of what you're working with, might give a better idea of how to handle the situation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.