Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions about short throw shifters.

I purchased a short throw shifter and energy bushing kit.(also got the jdm boot and a decent threaded knob) I started with the bushing which turned out to be more of a pain than I had originally thought and I didn't get to put in the short throw. I have a 1993 Honda civic dx and I live in ny so needless to say the bolts were corroded and stubborn. Anyways here are my questions.

I checked the site and could not find a good writeup here or google. So if anyone has a good writeup I would appreciate it.

I greased and put the bushings in and I didn't over-tighten them, and I still have a good amount of slop in my shifter; wondering if this might go away with the installation of the short throw.

Finally there are two 10 mm bolts holding the shifter to the linkage. I started the loosen them and after about 5 minutes I had nothing, I got inside the car and pulled the rubber boot back and the whole bolt/nut assembly was spinning talk about frustration. How do these come out?:confused I will attach a photo of them that I found online.

Thanks

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,822 Posts
id reccommend buying a cheap ass harbor freight flux mig.... not the best thing ever, but it will work in a pinch, and use it a few times and its paid for itself.... i personally use an old ass century mig...not the best, but it was free, cant complain

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
id reccommend buying a cheap ass harbor freight flux mig.... not the best thing ever, but it will work in a pinch, and use it a few times and its paid for itself.... i personally use an old ass century mig...not the best, but it was free, cant complain
I was at out local welding supply store in town and they have a lincoln 110 gas or gasless. for 500 bucks that i was thinking about buying.

I think I'll pull my car into work tomorrow if possible and just tack them.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah now that you mention it I saw the ridges on the picture. I dont know like I said I live in ny and they use salt on the roads and a lot of the bolts were rusty as it was. what about the slop in the shifter though what could be causing that like I said I replaced the bushings.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also like I said I replaced the bushings and the problem did not go away. I am wondering if it may be where the shifter bolts to the fork. I will get under it again and see if there is slop there and if so I will replace the washers or shims or whatever keeps it stiff. Just curious if this could work??? If it doesn't I will get under it and have a buddy move the shifter from sided to side to see exactly where the slop is. Thank you

· Registered
10,346 Posts
the bushing right under the shifter (the end one in your pic) that one needs to be lubed up and as tight as pissible. That bushing alone counted for a lot of the slop in my EF's shifter. then pounded out the bitch pin and replaced that bushing. Wallah job done.

Its strange that you didnt get all of em in one package ( i assume since you were asking about the other)

Take a few more pics and let us know dude

Also, consider that the stabilizer is messed up, could be flexing, maybe something else.

BTW I believ honda-tech has a write up on it, lemme see if I can find a link to steal lol

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Stranghe, cant find it on HT, or maybe the search thing is down. sorry i cant help any more

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put in the short shifter today and the slop is virtually gone. I wish I had gone with a skunk2 too though...eh this will hold me over for now. I tried to put that intake manifold in what a joke, I sent it back going with skunk2 ftw

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.