Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This spring break, I plan on replacing my rear bumper (smacked up by some thoughtful hit-and-run drivers) and front bumper (sedan to a coupe swap) which means I'll have to get them painted. My question is, will I save much money if I sand them myself or should I just pay the shop and save myself some time and frustration? Any suggestions on how to get the paint off easily? Grit suggestions or special paint removers? Thanks.

· Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned this before just to clear up some confusion. I plan on getting the bumpers from a junkyard, most likely with the previous owner's paint already on it. Any estimates on getting these painted would be nice too. Thanks again.

· Registered
484 Posts
How much will the paint shop charge for sanding? If it's not much, just let them do it. Also, some shops won't warranty a paint job unless they do all the prep work.
If they don't have a problem with your doing the prep work, try a paint remover like the one POR-15 has www.porproducts.com . Apply in the sun so the heat helps the paint stripper dissolve the paint. Also, try it on a unnoticeable spot to make sure it won't dissolve the plastic. I very much doubt it would, but you can't be too careful.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
Damn lol, maybe you should just invest a lil cash and have the whole thing painted heh

BTW how much are you paying for the bumper covers? I can get non-oem from Interstate for my 96 HB for like $30.00 each.

· Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to check out some local junkyards. I'm sure they'll have them. I used to know an actual junkyard search engine that could look up specific cars in your area but I forgot the site. :( I figure I can get them dirt cheap there and save shipping troubles and whatnot.

· Registered
275 Posts
someone was telling me that(i drive a teg) aftermarket non oem parts cannot have the integra inset into the bumper . does anyone know or have experience with this problem. i would buy non oem if i could but i want it to look real.

· Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vtecmissle said:
someone was telling me that(i drive a teg) aftermarket non oem parts cannot have the integra inset into the bumper . does anyone know or have experience with this problem. i would buy non oem if i could but i want it to look real.
I don't know about that but would you really miss it? Personnally, I think it would look better without the word "Integra" on the bumper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.