Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the middle of modifying my 01 TL...and just before I got rims on there...I basically gave up and was searching for cheaper car...and ofcourse...civic SI was one of them...I'm new here and I relly don't know much about SI...i can't imagine going to a 4 banger from 6 but...hopefully i'll be able to make it quicker than a TL...(no NOS)...could you guys add some goods and BADs about the civic SI? what are the bad stuff...and what type of defective or common stuff that occur when owning the SI...what option should i look for? and i don't mean the new SI...the 98-00 SI...

and color...BLUE...or BLack...appreciate your inputs...thanks

· Registered
2,151 Posts
Ive had my si for about 6 months now and these are just my opinions

goods
-nimble handling
-high revving engine
-adequate low end everyday torque
-endless amount of aftermarket parts

bads
-adequate torque still isnt enough
-clutch is a little soft

· Registered
403 Posts
[TL]Ridah said:
I was in the middle of modifying my 01 TL...and just before I got rims on there...I basically gave up and was searching for cheaper car...and ofcourse...civic SI was one of them...I'm new here and I relly don't know much about SI...i can't imagine going to a 4 banger from 6 but...hopefully i'll be able to make it quicker than a TL...(no NOS)...could you guys add some goods and BADs about the civic SI? what are the bad stuff...and what type of defective or common stuff that occur when owning the SI...what option should i look for? and i don't mean the new SI...the 98-00 SI...

and color...BLUE...or BLack...appreciate your inputs...thanks
Yeah you'll feel slow coming from your TL. Why no "NOS"? Basic stuff (intake/headers/exhaust) won't do a whole lot. At least its not great for the price. Nitrous is one of the best bangs for the buck. Anyhow....

Goods
B series engine - More parts than you'll ever use
Nice stock suspension - Of course you'll wanna change it ;)
Looks perty
Perky lil 4 banger

Bads
Cupholder - They suck major ass. It won't "hold" any size cup.
Change Holder - Only capable of containing about $3.00 successfully. Change flies out on hard shifts if too full.

· Registered
274 Posts
I love my Si. It's the second Si I've owned. So I'll break it down for you my pros and cons.

PROS:
Wealth of aftermarket parts
One of the best cars available for the money
cost to insure is very reasonable
great engine
pretty decent suspension for stock
good gas mileage
Good looks

CONS:
Wealth of aftermarket parts- too many choices!
Clutch- plan to switch out or upgrade before too long
$1000 spent in I/H/E doesn't help too much.
Cupholder cannot keep any cup from spilling
There are so many Si's out there that it's hard to really stand out
Factory stereo could be better

· Registered
485 Posts
yeah the cup holders suck... and there are no ashtrays for people who smoke... my gas milage sucks tho?? but i drive like 100 mph everywhere i go so thats why... it does have a good engine... and there are alot of parts... they look aggresive as hell just by taking the front honda badge off... you can beat the hell out of it and it will keep comin back for more... thats why i got mine... its a beater car basically

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dunno...after doing some search...even used SI would cost around 15...so mind as well get a basic EK hatchback with AC and do a engine transplant and etc. not only would it be fast as hell...and beat most v6s...but look pimp...

most parts i'll be using are spoons...and i'll prolly get LS engine wit GReddy turbo...that would be phat...wut ya'll think?

· Registered
2,151 Posts
[TL]Ridah said:
i dunno...after doing some search...even used SI would cost around 15...so mind as well get a basic EK hatchback with AC and do a engine transplant and etc. not only would it be fast as hell...and beat most v6s...but look pimp...

most parts i'll be using are spoons...and i'll prolly get LS engine wit GReddy turbo...that would be phat...wut ya'll think?

To everyone his own but id prefer a turbo charged b16. I heard that driving a turboed vtec engine is a real blast. On the other hand the b18b is supposedly great for turbo charging but i think a turboed b16 with beefed up internals would be cooler

· Premium Member
9,316 Posts
My dad has a 00 TL, and off the line he can take me, but in the 1/4 I can beat him by .1 :D

Basically the TL has more usable power, but the Si can move, if you know how to drive it correctly. Now the type S is a different story :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.