Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
i wouldnt do it, especially since you're in cali. by taking your cat off the exhaust will be louder and at certain rpm levels will sound raspy and sooner or later it will attract unwanted attention. my advice is to get a hi flow cat that will pass emmisions (not those cheap ebay ones). something like carsound, catco or random technologies.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
xxxdoc said:
I find my self pulling on and off the freeway just to get away from the man!

i'd rather drive a minivan than to do that. and for what?? 2hp more and bumble bee noise coming out of the exhaust?? no thank you.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Ript said:
youll gain a few on the top end, like at the torque peak. and loose some bottom end...
why would he lose some at bottom end? its freeer flowing. cats are restrictive as fuck.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Tram said:
It's also rumored to be a $10,000 fine from the EPA if you get caught without one.. :)

Buuuttt.. I know lots of guys who arn't scared of that.. :)
thats a negative. never heard that in emissions class. but it IS illegal to not have one, offer to bribe an inspector to pass you, falsely pass a vehicle, or surround your fake cat with heatshields so it looks like you have one.

there ARE major fines for falsely passing vehicles without cats, and those fines go to the inspector and the emission station owners. and they do have undercover people who try to bribe you. however my station has never paid such fines on my behalf. but my 93 sol passed open downpipe :ninja like a champ

·
Registered
682 Posts
ksniperfox said:
thats a negative. never heard that in emissions class. but it IS illegal to not have one, offer to bribe an inspector to pass you, falsely pass a vehicle, or surround your fake cat with heatshields so it looks like you have one.

there ARE major fines for falsely passing vehicles without cats, and those fines go to the inspector and the emission station owners. and they do have undercover people who try to bribe you. however my station has never paid such fines on my behalf. but my 93 sol passed open downpipe :ninja like a champ
lol... bahaha... also, i am running nitrous so i had to take mine off otherwise its no good.. lol.. burn that shit out.. later-

·
Registered
478 Posts
ksniperfox said:
why would he lose some at bottom end? its freeer flowing. cats are restrictive as fuck.
Because you cant take advantage of it at lower rpms, and a little back pressure will give you some omre bottom end. A friend of mine, who has a Neon put his back on cause it lost so much low end, it was hard to drive slow. On an accord, it may not be as bad, or noticable. YMMV depending on the motor of course. Ever hear of a power valve? They put them on OLD 2 stroke street bikes, to give them some low end All it was was a valve that choked off the exaust port. I have one, a 1984 RZ350, but that is a different forum :)

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
just because you cant take advantage of it at the lowers doesnt mean you LOSE power. got any proof? i ran open header in my sol for a week before turbo install and didnt lose a bit of power. gained a small bit up top. but no loss anywhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've always heard you will lose a little down low if you run an open exhaust like that.. I do not know why or what causes it but that is what I heard..

When I ran open headers on my Trans Am, it felt a little different down low, but pulled pretty nicely in the upper rpms.. That could have all been in my head though...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.