Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last night i was going down the road in my sohc vtec and eclipse turbo comes behind me and then passes me even when i gun it he still manages to gslowly pass but not by much so I would like to get a turbo is it a good idea to put a stock WRX 10psi turbo on my sol my motor has 127k on it and run pretty well i think i know the front seal has a small crack or something like that at least thats what shop told me about 9 months ago but should i do it or am i just going to blow the motor??? please let me know what you think
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Do it, and pass the eclipse then blow up ur motor

all in all that is fun...hahaha


seriously, do some research and know the pros and cons b4 deciding urself and prepare to have downtime w/ car if it is a dd, also ur budget determines what kind of kit as well as if u have enough money to fix whats going wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts
it probably barely passed you because you were wide open and he was not


there is a lot involved in putting a turbo on your car

you need much more than a turbo
manifold
intercooler (not required, but you should have one)
fuel upgrade
tuning
chargepipes
downpipe
BOV ("")
oil lines and fittings
and other misc shit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,272 Posts
yup and if your engine isn't in excellent shape then it won't be long for this world...and if it's your first turbo setup and you don't do adequate research/time/money/effort then you will blow even a new bulletproof motor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,966 Posts
its a lot easier to upgrade a factory turbo car, just cause thats what it was built for and its used to turbo all its life. either do a shitload of homework or just get a VW gti or eclipse gst or somethin. they got plenty of balls. u need a lot of $
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,923 Posts
Delsol9 said:
Well last night i was going down the road in my sohc vtec and eclipse turbo comes behind me and then passes me even when i gun it he still manages to gslowly pass but not by much so I would like to get a turbo is it a good idea to put a stock WRX 10psi turbo on my sol my motor has 127k on it and run pretty well i think i know the front seal has a small crack or something like that at least thats what shop told me about 9 months ago but should i do it or am i just going to blow the motor??? please let me know what you think
IMO, NO. Besides the milege...why? Because you "think"
you got "spanked" by an Eclipse? Dude, check into that
crack first. Eclipse's are pretty fast, BTW, even non-turbo.
I never understood the "speed contest" shit, unless it
was with a friend or for money. Total BS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,788 Posts
BlueBallz said:
IMO, NO. Besides the milege...why? Because you "think"
you got "spanked" by an Eclipse? Dude, check into that
crack first. Eclipse's are pretty fast, BTW, even non-turbo.
I never understood the "speed contest" shit, unless it
was with a friend or for money. Total BS.
I drive an 02 eclipse gt, and I don't think it's very fast at all...I mean yeah it's quick :rolleyes but definitely not fast...maybe the gst's/gsx's are fast bc of the awd turbo...and the newer eclipses with their 3.8l mivec v6's...but I think the 3g's got skimped in the POWER department...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,272 Posts
200 torque fools many into thinking the car is fast when they get pressed against the seat.

But it's HP/weight ratio that matters. Torque helps launches but doesn't win races.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts
BlueBallz said:
IMO, NO. Besides the milege...why? Because you "think"
you got "spanked" by an Eclipse? Dude, check into that
crack first. Eclipse's are pretty fast, BTW, even non-turbo.
I never understood the "speed contest" shit, unless it
was with a friend or for money. Total BS.

non turbo eclipses are VERY slow (in the yeras that they had turbo models)

my friend had a 98....that thing sucked soo bad...such a dog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,012 Posts
Yes a nice girl I know :D let me drive her 98 Eclipse GS(the GS and RS were the non-turbo cars). It was descent but I wouldn't call it fast. They put out 140 hp and they weigh in just under 2800 pounds, so they really are not what I would call fast. The GST and GSX eclipses put out 210 hp, and the differance between the two is that the GST is fwd and the GSX is awd.

On another note, a turbo eclipse would beat you if you have an Si. Not that it really matters but seriously, if you were to race one(more specifically a GSX) is would rape you off the line because it has AWD. Second it houses a 2 liter dohc engine. If its thats big of a deal then upgrade but thats weak if thats your only reason man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,788 Posts
I know a guy who had an LS teg with over 140k miles on the motor...he built a little homemade turbo, got a really amazing tune done and it ran fine and lasted him a good while. I don't think he ever had a problem with it, but he wanted to make the motor bullet proof after awhile...he wanted MORE BOOST :D when you have that many miles on your motor, everything must be working properly...I think you mentioned something about a front seal crack? That just won't do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,012 Posts
solsykness said:
I know a guy who had an LS teg with over 140k miles on the motor...he built a little homemade turbo, got a really amazing tune done and it ran fine and lasted him a good while. I don't think he ever had a problem with it, but he wanted to make the motor bullet proof after awhile...he wanted MORE BOOST :D when you have that many miles on your motor, everything must be working properly...I think you mentioned something about a front seal crack? That just won't do.
X2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
the 2g eclipse gst and gsx are fast because of their motor, the 4g63, the same engine as the evo, but with some slight differences. while the eclipse gs and rs, the n/a's, are slow because of their p.o.s. chrysler motor, the 420a.

anyway, just swap the motor for a beefier dohc, or if u plan to turbo, just drop in a zc, or if u have the money, a b18b. thats just my opinion.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top