Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up people,
ok, tonight i just bought a Dx transmission for my stock CRX Si, cause if u remember my first gear went on my stock tranny, but when i bought this DX tranny, the guy told me that my car would be quicker, cause the gear ratio is so small......... also before i put my tranny in i wonder what kind of lighweight flywheel can go in their, the one made for the Si or the one made for the DX????? or is it made for both? and what else can i do to my head before i put my new head that i also got, with a aftermaket Cam in it for cheap??????? (if ur wondering what happen to the blown B16 engine, well its beyond my repair, so im not gonna bother with it)....... thanks..

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
if u run the 1/8 mile ull be good to go but 1/4 mile will suck cause third gear of the dx tranny blows ass... i kill people in teh 1/8 with my dx rtanny but after i hit third they catch up so get a si tranny

·
Registered
691 Posts
if u run the 1/8 mile ull be good to go but 1/4 mile will suck cause third gear of the dx tranny blows ass... i kill people in teh 1/8 with my dx rtanny but after i hit third they catch up so get a si tranny
The DX and the Si gear ratios are exactly the same. The final drive is longer on the DX. This would result in the Si transmission being faster in the 1/8 mile than the DX.
The exception would be if you don't have to do a 2nd - 3rd shift with the DX and those w/ the Si do in the 1/8mile.

Chris

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much worse is the Dx tranny then the Si tranny???? would i lose alot of power on third?? or just a little bit compared to the Si tranny???

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
The DX tranny is a decent tranny but overall blows. The Flywheel you will need is still an Si flywheel I am not sure about a clutch though.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
If you plan on going with a turbo the DX trans is better and it'll kill a Si Trans with turbo! Like someone stated earlier, the 1 - 5 gear ratio is the same but the DX has a taller Final Drive giving it a higher top speed.
Here are the Max allowable speeds in both trans thru 3rd gear:

DX:
1st = 35 mph
2nd = 60 mph
3rd = 91 mph
4th and 5th are obsolete w/ stock engine , but i'm sure 120 is possible

Si:
1st = 32 mph
2nd = 55 mph
3rd = 83 mph

And aftermarket Flywheels for a Si should work with the Dx trans.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
SohcVtecTurboHB said:
If you plan on going with a turbo the DX trans is better and it'll kill a Si Trans with turbo! Like someone stated earlier, the 1 - 5 gear ratio is the same but the DX has a taller Final Drive giving it a higher top speed.
Here are the Max allowable speeds in both trans thru 3rd gear:

DX:
1st = 35 mph
2nd = 60 mph
3rd = 91 mph

Si:
1st = 32 mph
2nd = 55 mph
3rd = 83 mph

with my 4dr dx tranny i hit 85 in 3rd the final drive i taller than a crx or hatch final drive just thought ud like to know that its a diff gear. teh dx 4dr accelarate quick in 1st and 2nd like the si but the ratio in third its to wide not short like the 1 and 2 gears

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the flywheel im going to do a 2 stage shave or something like that, it costs like 35 dollars to do it, and im getting a new ACT stage 2 clutch to grab reall good, im gettin a new timing belt, all new head gaskets... maybe a unorthodox pulley (will i feel a big difference with this pulley??) also what else can i add to this head that is not too expensive, but will def make a diff in my engine????

·
Registered
194 Posts
SohcVtecTurboHB said:

DX:
1st = 35 mph
2nd = 60 mph
3rd = 91 mph

Si:
1st = 32 mph
2nd = 55 mph
3rd = 83 mph

dang... I like my tranny, whatever it's from... bought it with a sohc zc in it, tranny goes like this...
1st = about 40
2nd = 70
3rd = 105
never gunna top out 4th or 5th...

·
Registered
19 Posts
i've heard where the 88-89 dx tranny's gear radio were the same as the si tranny's... gear radio-wise. My friend had a 89 dx tranny and when he cracked it and put in a new si tranny, he didn't feel see a difference in the gear radio. I don't know, but I've also read this in a magazine, so it might be true.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
ok let me explain the gears are the same but the ratio is closer with the si tranny since it has a 4.25 final drive if i remeber fight and the dx has 3.85 or something like thatin the 4dr that is the crx dx is lower so with the 4.25 u accelaratequicker but u have a lower top speed..... comprehend?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i wouldnt be able to buy a normal clutch for it, i would have to buy alot of things from the dx's tranny to actually make it work, and also the gripping diameter of the dx clutch is about almost an inch smaller then the Si trannys clutch.... meaning its not as good for gripping...... also the dx tranny that i have has only 21 teeth on the main shaft, that you place the flywheel and clutch on.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts