Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do something freaking psycho in my hatch. It's a '96 and I've got plenty of empty room now that I gutted it. I've run through ideas for different mid rear setups, everything from a B20 with any number of different heads, turbo, na, whatever. Most recently I found out that the new K series motors will bolt up to an S2000 drivetrain to build a front rear setup. I know it would involve a lot of cut and paste, but I'm looking for something sick. Front rear or mid rear preferably. Good acceleration or minimal lag if I go the boost route. I want an autocross car, not just 1/4 mile. I have plans for a B18C5 right now but I would like something rear drive cuz I just haven't seen it yet. I just need more info on whatever I might be putting in.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
is there a question? converting a FWD vehicle to RWD will involve.........so much work i couldnt imagine it. making sure the engine bay is long enough, makin a place for the longer tranny, a big groove for the drive shaft, a spot for the transfer car and rear axle. i wouldnt know where to start. i hope money isnt an issue for you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why I started thinking mid-rear. or just falling to a C5 built to about 300 hp or so.... I don't have assloads of money but plenty of time and patience. I love my car and I want her insane

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Obviously, mid rear would be much much easier than front rear but either way, it'd be nice to pull up into a lot and drop a patch from my rear tires or throw down some donuts in a Civic... heh, sick

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
you dont have a lot of money but you want a 300hp C5???? K, seriously, dont even bother, i dont know if your actaully asking any questions, but none of these ideas are gonna work. Unless you own your own welding shop or are rich, dont even think about it. If you have money, buy a B20, vtec conversion, then turbo the heck out of it. <-- that right there will give you a "sick" civic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have the money to completely custom fabricate a car out of gum wrappers and tic tacs. I mean I'm not Macguyver or anything but I will have the money for a C5 and the income to build it a piece at a time. So yeah, 300 is a little high but what's wrong with big dreams. And as far as "sick" is concerned, a turbo B20 will be way too heavy in the front end for autocross... Like I said, I'm not interested in simply 1/4 mile. The suggestions I put out were just different ideas I've put through my head. I was just looking for easier, more plausible ideas.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
IDriveJosephine said:
I don't have the money to completely custom fabricate a car out of gum wrappers and tic tacs. I mean I'm not Macguyver or anything but I will have the money for a C5 and the income to build it a piece at a time. So yeah, 300 is a little high but what's wrong with big dreams. And as far as "sick" is concerned, a turbo B20 will be way too heavy in the front end for autocross... Like I said, I'm not interested in simply 1/4 mile. The suggestions I put out were just different ideas I've put through my head. I was just looking for easier, more plausible ideas.
Well if a b20 is too heavy for autocross, then so is the b18c5, because the c5 is actually heavier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i agree. is's going to cost ALOT of money. unless you have some of the skill's (welding, ect) to perform some of the work yourself. I did see a mid engine crx think on one of those import show's.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
if you go mid engine you'll need an engine that came from a mid engine car, think nsx, mr2 etc...

if not the how the hell are you gonna macguyver the shift linkage to work backwords? :rolleyes:

custom tranny, or auto tranny is bout the only way that's going to work

also have fun with the custom throttle cable, and custom rear supension, oh yeah
and how bout power steering? that's ain't gonna happen with out some serious magic

here's my sugestion, if your going rwd, go sub frame and small block, but even that is going to
run about $30grand by the time it's done, but it will also be helluva lot faster than sticking with a honda motor

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not trying to flame...

But this whole topic is nuts. If you want a mid-engine car, save your pennies and buy a mid-engine car. If you want a f/r car, save your pennies and...

Don't talk about how you dont have $$ but you want to convert a Civic to a mid-engine catapult... I'm sure it COULD be done... but it would cost you an arm and a leg to completely transform the bottom of the unibody pan and the cabin interior, trunk space, etc... this idea makes no sense...

Not to mention the complete re-design of the suspension you would have to do to adapt to the absolute change you would make to the cars weight distribution and handling characteristics...

Then there's the safety issues of how you would be changing the use of the car's crumple zones that were designed to work a certain way to save your life in the event of a crash (which prolly WOULD happen if you didn't figure everything else out perfectly...)

This list could take up pages...

Why do all this 'changing' to a well designed car when some very capable engineers have already done all the work for you...

Or... if the goal is to have a car that LOOKS like a civic, but drives like an NSX, then find a mid-engine chassis and spend your time fitting a civic shell to it. Much more realistic... (in an unrealistic world...)

I shall now step down from my rickety old soapbox and slink away...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a bunch for your input, I'll take it all into consideration. Maybe the ideas were a little too sick but come on, who among us hasn't had some disgustingly over the edge fantasies about what to do to their car?

·
Registered
435 Posts
heres some ideas ive comeup w/ over time.. H22A w/ Trip-tronic tranny -- u would have to have custom gears/tranny work(alot) -- it would cost u like $6k+ ~~ or u can go & drop a 2.3CL engine yoru car.. its a sohc -- but tis a hella huge engine.. & no1 has that in there car!

thats about all u can do -- well aside from doin a 4wd conversion-- as in fulltime 4wd/all wheel drive -- or u can do a dual engine set up--(possibly w/ a turbo on each engine)-- as in 1 under tha hood & one in tha Hatch area.. although u will have to re-lacate tha gass tank...prob will need a dry cell... but im sure it can be done.... Just tha COST will be stupid.. -- it would just be pointless to do -- unless your Rich.. or sponsored...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts