Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the thing is, I was always under the impression that single turbos were superior to TT. However, I have a friend who believes otherwise.

I've researched a little, and found that TT are only useful in "V shaped" engines, which certainly ARE NOT Hondas.

To argue my point, I cited such examples such as cars like Supras that come w/ TT, always UPGRADE to single turbos. Also that a car is only limited to the amound of boost the engine can take, not how much is available, and also from what I've heard that TT have more lag.

I don't have much beyond this to argue though, and this kid still thinks TT are better, and I'm not knowledgeable enough about FI, more specifically turbos, to argue the point any further, even though I'm almost certain single tubos are always better...

Someone please help me out on this.

BTW I'm also posting this in the Turbocharger section, but I thougt I'd post it in the del Sol forum as well since it's where I spend 99% of my time on SHO.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
single turbo is the way to go for most applications, especially 4cyl.
twin turbos are ok for v6, v8, v10, v12.
if your friend is telling you that you should TT your honda then you're better off looking to make other friends.

·
Registered
349 Posts
twin turbos from my experience do produce more power (not in all cases) but the lag that we have from tt is rediculous. my turbos don't start spooling till about 3800 rpms. i'm running dr650's.... where a single turbo should be up to full spool by that point

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
blackdelsol94 said:
He is trying to argue TTs are superior for any application.
spool time depends on the siZE Of the turbo and how much exhaust is going into it. so if you have 2 enormous turbos on your supra, its going to take all year to spool them up. if you have two smaller turbos, it spools lightning fast, but the size of them limits the amount of power they will make/and the amount of air they flow. less air=less power.
so supra owners put on one enormous t78 which spools a little bit later but it flows enormous amounts of air.

twin turbo vs single turbo really depends on the application and the goals of the owner.
but as far as your friends argument, he is inevitably wrong.

tt for V motors is typically easier in terms of the amount of piping and routing. especially if you want equal length piping.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Twin turbo most people think is only for 6 cyl and above which is not true
the FD Rotary in a RX-7 has a twin turbo motor but 2 different sizes on for lower rpm one for higher. also i the first Lotus esprit had a 4 cyl TT motor in it, which was later replaced by a v-8.

as far as which is better it depends on the application? a 4 cyl works better with a small to mid sized turbo for street and a big one for drag. 6 cyl and up will do one mid to large turbo for street or two small to mid. or a Huge single turbo for drag. mostly it depends on the budget of the person/Team.

So i'd say TT especially on a 4 cyl honda would be very expensive. it would have to be sequential like on the others i noted above one small and one bigger. and have huge testing done to make it right like Mazda and Lotus did

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.