Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the thing is, I was always under the impression that single turbos were superior to TT. However, I have a friend who believes otherwise.

I've researched a little, and found that TT are only useful in "V shaped" engines, which certainly ARE NOT Hondas.

To argue my point, I cited such examples such as cars like Supras that come w/ TT, always UPGRADE to single turbos. Also that a car is only limited to the amound of boost the engine can take, not how much is available, and also from what I've heard that TT have more lag.

I don't have much beyond this to argue though, and this kid still thinks TT are better, and I'm not knowledgeable enough about FI, more specifically turbos, to argue the point any further, even though I'm almost certain single tubos are always better...

Someone please help me out on this. It would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
325 Posts
on the tt supra one turbo spools the other and its not better than single unless you do dual 2835"s and even then they still dont put out more than a gt47-88 can so one big single is better than tt

·
Registered
163 Posts
blackdelsol94 said:
So the thing is, I was always under the impression that single turbos were superior to TT. However, I have a friend who believes otherwise.

I've researched a little, and found that TT are only useful in "V shaped" engines, which certainly ARE NOT Hondas.

To argue my point, I cited such examples such as cars like Supras that come w/ TT, always UPGRADE to single turbos. Also that a car is only limited to the amound of boost the engine can take, not how much is available, and also from what I've heard that TT have more lag.

I don't have much beyond this to argue though, and this kid still thinks TT are better, and I'm not knowledgeable enough about FI, more specifically turbos, to argue the point any further, even though I'm almost certain single tubos are always better...

Someone please help me out on this. It would be greatly appreciated.
It all depends upon what kind of powerband you want...
A single turbo is great for pushing TONS of air, but then it will take longer to spool up...
There are 2 types of TT systems, sequential and regular twin turbo
It really depends upon the architecture of the engine, if it's a v-engine or an inline, or even a rotary...
-V-engines are only capable of using a regular TT system (300ZX, 3000GT)
-Inline engines and rotaries can use the sequential turbo system (Supra, RX-7)

In a sequential, 2 turbos are used to decrease the effect of turbo lag and increase the useable powerband
In a regular TT system (V-engines), there is one turbo on each bank of cylinders.
So basically, one large ass turbo is great for 1/4 mile racing or pushing tons of HP, while a sequential setup is better used on a track or daily driving.
So go tell your friend he's wrong for thinking one is better than the other, because it's a matter of use and preference.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
mberndt said:
-V-engines are only capable of using a regular TT system (300ZX, 3000GT)
since when? all ford 7.3l powerstrokes are single turbo. same for 6.0 too i think. and the 6.6 in the duramax.

a lot of muscle car setups are single turbo, rear mount.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Dude, I don't need you to pick apart my statement for every little detail...
I'm not trying to write a book on the subject, understand?

I'm talking here mostly about the difference in STOCK turbo systems, and not modified muscle cars...
If you got enough $$$ you can make anything a single turbo, :wow
Since when??
Since when is this a Ford Forum, LOL.
No seriously, obviously the large turbo-diesels may use only one turbo, but on performance cars with v-engines, they tend to use the regular TT system.
ON what stock, performance v-engine cars do they use a single turbo?
I can't think of any. It's not to say it can't be done though...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
it depends on too many things.
My twins were real twins. 3 cyl to each turbo and seperate WG's and manifolds.
MKIV's are not like that and neither are RX 7"s,
they are sequential, which you will notice more lag.

There are Supras running mid 10's on stock twins. So they do work. Their are Supras making over 1k whp on bigger twins. But it all comes down to preference. IMO, driving 1 big single is easier and cheaper and less headaches then driving two big twins.

this is on inline motors of course.
V motors is a whole diff game

·
Registered
37 Posts
TT have way way way better response because use generally use smaller turbos. large single turbo upgrades are more efficient but also take longer to spool, but when it does spool brace yourself.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I have a 61mm T4 and it spools faster then stock twins on a sequential set up on an MKIV supra

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.