1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on my skunk2 drag coilovers w/ my koni yellows and my
energy suspension bushing kit, skunk2 rear lower strut and upper
strut on my 94 civic coupe.

Ok so what did all this do for my car the handling is very good first off very responsive because of the new bushings, i wouldn't say it's something to bring auto crossing but just perfect enough to satisfy your need. The launches on the car are much better even though i still have my stock tires, all wheel hop is gone just straight foward launches.

Now i still yet have to experience a bump cause i just got it back but from what i heard it's supposed to be harsh i guess that might be another post. My car is dropped to 2 inches i think anything after that will be like riding on rocks all day because of the heavy spring rate.

In conclusion i give this supension an 8

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Tegster said:
If they're drag coils wouldn't that mean a higher spring rate then?

yes that is all they are, the same as all the other kits w/ a more aggressive spring rate made for drag launching

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
deepstaged said:
Thank you..

Good to be back..:D

yeah.......we lost a lot of stuff, as you can see i have a new name.....my old one was t3h banned....:cry:

·
Registered
139 Posts
temp03 said:
yeah.......we lost a lot of stuff, as you can see i have a new name.....my old one was t3h banned....:cry:
yeah... I noticed.. that sucks.. all that information ..gone..

I noticed the new name... I was kind of tripping on it, cause I would see posts with both in them...I kind of figured it was you though..

I would have been here sooner.. but when I 're-registered' I never got the 'activation' email and couldn't log in... then all of a sudden...here I am..

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
deepstaged said:
yeah... I noticed.. that sucks.. all that information ..gone..

I noticed the new name... I was kind of tripping on it, cause I would see posts with both in them...I kind of figured it was you though..

I would have been here sooner.. but when I 're-registered' I never got the 'activation' email and couldn't log in... then all of a sudden...here I am..

yeah that happened to one of my new accounts too

·
Registered
16 Posts
hmmmm......as far as I know, you mentioned harshness of ride? Well harshness is initially set by the spring rate. Shocks merely dampen the springs. Being bouncy is due to not having match rated shocks, so if you have a shock thats only capable of dampening 300lbs, that shock is not going to dampen anything over a 300lb spring rate.

The springs are ideal for AutoX! The linear spring rate is ideal for initial turn-in and left-to-right transitions (very responsive) on small autox tracks. This is the set-up of choice that I'd personally use.

If you want a smoother ride you'll have to get some "street springs" that are progressive rate. The initial rate is lower and progressively gets stiffer so that you don't feel little irregularities and bumps in the road.

alexis_t >> That lower arm bar by Skunk2 (or any other comparable brand) is one of the best things to throw on when it comes to AutoX and street driving. The back-end will hang-on a lot further than stock. You could really push the car!!

Be sure to get a front lower arm bar. Steering response is dramatically increased.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
importinsider said:
hmmmm......as far as I know, you mentioned harshness of ride? Well harshness is initially set by the spring rate. Shocks merely dampen the springs. Being bouncy is due to not having match rated shocks, so if you have a shock thats only capable of dampening 300lbs, that shock is not going to dampen anything over a 300lb spring rate.

The springs are ideal for AutoX! The linear spring rate is ideal for initial turn-in and left-to-right transitions (very responsive) on small autox tracks. This is the set-up of choice that I'd personally use.

If you want a smoother ride you'll have to get some "street springs" that are progressive rate. The initial rate is lower and progressively gets stiffer so that you don't feel little irregularities and bumps in the road.

alexis_t >> That lower arm bar by Skunk2 (or any other comparable brand) is one of the best things to throw on when it comes to AutoX and street driving. The back-end will hang-on a lot further than stock. You could really push the car!!

Be sure to get a front lower arm bar. Steering response is dramatically increased.

shocks generally are not rated in pounds however and this is the downfall

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
importinsider said:
HUH!?!? Shock dampening rates are not rated in pounds!?!?! Which company do you work for that shock dampening rates aren't rated in pounds?

when the AVERAGE person purchases shocks they do not look at the dampening rates in lb/in, and a lot of shock companies DO NOT make this information readily avaliable to the public

·
Registered
16 Posts
oh yeah!!! I definitely agree with you!

Well, I wasn't thinking. I tend to get critical of products because I know how most products are marketed, and most of the time most manufacturers want to negate the tech side of it. Especially spring rates because one product I know we had we were offering multiple spring rates at purchase and it only confused the customer even more. So now, its kind of like: race, street, drag, etc.

Some shocks can be customed dampened depending upon your application although if you ask the tech dept of some company's they'll be more than willing to give you dampening rates.

G/A/B's have one of the higher dampening rates on the market.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
importinsider said:
oh yeah!!! I definitely agree with you!

Well, I wasn't thinking. I tend to get critical of products because I know how most products are marketed, and most of the time most manufacturers want to negate the tech side of it. Especially spring rates because one product I know we had we were offering multiple spring rates at purchase and it only confused the customer even more. So now, its kind of like: race, street, drag, etc.

Some shocks can be customed dampened depending upon your application although if you ask the tech dept of some company's they'll be more than willing to give you dampening rates.

G/A/B's have one of the higher dampening rates on the market.

true, but custom valving can be rather expensive to most of the people out there because most people like to half ass thier shit...lol.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, see you know all this, but most other people don't, and I like to bring up the point because people don't purchase products on the technical side because its too difficult to learn how shocks and springs work when you just need to buy something. I also dont' want people to buy products just because of the marketing or "lust factor". Thats why I see so many people lusting after "tein" - i guess its the JDM prestige.

Like the Skunk2 springs. I don't know if they still do, but they used to manufacture hot formed springs vs. cold wound springs. So the Skunk2 springs are way superior to most of the springs on the market - hot formed gives a more uniformed lbs. per inch vs. cold form springs which tend to have different rates throughout because its being bent while cold.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.