Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just got finished installing my Skunk2 Stage 2 cams and when VTEC goes to cross over, the motor stutters, misses, or what not...Its the crappiest sound in the world. It did it with my cam gears set on 0 0 and Skunk2 told me to advance my intake cam 2 degrees and see if that works and I got nothing. My valves are adjusted to .006 In and .007 ex.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

·
Registered
103 Posts
what is your vtec cross-over point since the stage 2 r pretty agressive you might want to bump it up a bit not down also
do you have any type of fuel managment cuz you deffenatly need more fuel also r there any other mods on your engine o and most important whats the engine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I got it fixed a little. Ive been screwing with it all day long today so far and its gotten a little better. A buddy of mine last night had the same problem with his stage 3's and it was because he was running to rich and his problem was fixed when he got a Hondata. Because I chip ecu's, im kinda against a hondata and im currently out of chips to burn a new one so im trying to lean everything out with the VAFC and FPR

The current mods to my car is the following
JDM B16A Block
Mugen 2 layer head gasket
00 B16A head with JDM SiR2 Intake manifold (waiting on my Skunk2 mani)
Skunk2 Valve springs, retainers, stage 2 cams, Skunk2 cam gears
Apexi VAFC
Chipped PR4 ECU
B&M FPR (36psi)
Intake, Header, Exhaust, Gutted cat, MSD Ignition

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
VTECPower2k1 said:
Ok, I got it fixed a little. Ive been screwing with it all day long today so far and its gotten a little better. A buddy of mine last night had the same problem with his stage 3's and it was because he was running to rich and his problem was fixed when he got a Hondata. Because I chip ecu's, im kinda against a hondata and im currently out of chips to burn a new one so im trying to lean everything out with the VAFC and FPR

The current mods to my car is the following
JDM B16A Block
Mugen 2 layer head gasket
00 B16A head with JDM SiR2 Intake manifold (waiting on my Skunk2 mani)
Skunk2 Valve springs, retainers, stage 2 cams, Skunk2 cam gears
Apexi VAFC
Chipped PR4 ECU
B&M FPR (36psi)
Intake, Header, Exhaust, Gutted cat, MSD Ignition
Your running stage2 and your are against a very reasonbly priced custom fuel management system? you shoudl not have skunk2 stage 2's then...Please releize that those cams with out proper tuning will hinder your cars preformance and will mkae you lose power...they need to be tuned!!!! or at the very least have a skunk2 stage 2 chip in your ecu, but even then they will more then likely not be up to full potentail...do not half ass stuff, if you spent that kind of money and are against hondata, then you need to think about running cams again... You can only lean a car so far, before you need help from a fuel managment system!

·
Registered
103 Posts
well honestly the best thing to do is bring it to a dyno

but if your a diy kinda guy have you tryed your stock chip and do tha tunning with apexi and dont set vtec x-over too low
since you have msd did you fool around with your spark plug gap
and 36 psi sounds low to me everyone in my area is runnin on 44 to 50 psi

o and since you got cams and cam gears did recheck your timming belt to c if anything is off cuz if remember one tooth off on a cam gears is 16 degrees off

o and what todateg said ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im gonna fool around with it more later. I gotta do a new timing belt anyway.

Im only against Hondata because I reprogram ECU's myself and I make my own maps as well. Since I do that, I feel that Hondata is just a waste of money since I can do most of the same things they can do for free. Its just time consuming.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
VTECPower2k1 said:
Im gonna fool around with it more later. I gotta do a new timing belt anyway.

Im only against Hondata because I reprogram ECU's myself and I make my own maps as well. Since I do that, I feel that Hondata is just a waste of money since I can do most of the same things they can do for free. Its just time consuming.
NO you can not really do what hondata does, and you can not do nearly the job that a dyno can do, there is a reason that people( i mean serious people) do not relay on somebody like you to "re-map" thier ecu, over putting it on a dyno and using a system to properly tune a car and it's ecu... and i think that your chip ecu, that you did yourself, is one of the leading reasons why you are having so much trouble with your cams....

I am not trying to be mean, i simply stating the obvious...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obviously your wrong tho. Not to be mean back or start any kind of arguements but anyone who REALLY knows how to chip ECU's, re-map, and such, knows what Hondatas do. I have all of Hondatas software and everything and I know how it works. Besides that, I figured out the problem and that was the car was running too rich when VTEC would cross over. I wouldnt waste my money on a Hondata anyway since the cams are only temporary since im going turbo and my E-Manage should be here soon anyway so I can do more fine tuning with that. And yes, a dyno is great also but the problem is in NY, the shops that have a dyno and tune Hondatas have done some REALLY bad jobs on the cars ive seen get done. I have better axs to someone who tunes E-Manages and does a GREAT job with them. Thank you for the help tho.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
VTECPower2k1 said:
Obviously your wrong tho. Not to be mean back or start any kind of arguements but anyone who REALLY knows how to chip ECU's, re-map, and such, knows what Hondatas do. I have all of Hondatas software and everything and I know how it works. Besides that, I figured out the problem and that was the car was running too rich when VTEC would cross over. I wouldnt waste my money on a Hondata anyway since the cams are only temporary since im going turbo and my E-Manage should be here soon anyway so I can do more fine tuning with that. And yes, a dyno is great also but the problem is in NY, the shops that have a dyno and tune Hondatas have done some REALLY bad jobs on the cars ive seen get done. I have better axs to someone who tunes E-Manages and does a GREAT job with them. Thank you for the help tho.
You bought cams, only to go turbo? I found your story a little fishy... and you are telling me in that all of new york(with a 2 hour drive in mind) that you can not find one good hondata tuner... BS!!!! I also highly doubt that you can do everything hondata can do...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not gonna get into it since you obviously dont know that much about chipping computers. Ontop of that, I got the cams and everything cheap of a friend of mine when he blew his motor so whats to sound fishy? Its my car and I can do what I want with it even if I just want to blow money away on it. You idiots make me laugh sometime on how stupid you all can be trying to talk shit over the internet and thinking you know what your doing when you apparently dont.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
VTECPower2k1 said:
Im not gonna get into it since you obviously dont know that much about chipping computers. Ontop of that, I got the cams and everything cheap of a friend of mine when he blew his motor so whats to sound fishy? Its my car and I can do what I want with it even if I just want to blow money away on it. You idiots make me laugh sometime on how stupid you all can be trying to talk shit over the internet and thinking you know what your doing when you apparently dont.
You can PM me, if you want to discuss what i know and what i do not know... Chipping computers is a level below hondata and their system! If it were not everyone would be chipping computers!

Any more off-topic stuff and this thread will be closed...

So please PM me and we can discuss everything you do not think i know...

·
Registered
514 Posts
TodaTeg said:
You bought cams, only to go turbo? I found your story a little fishy... and you are telling me in that all of new york(with a 2 hour drive in mind) that you can not find one good hondata tuner... BS!!!! I also highly doubt that you can do everything hondata can do...
Todateg i agree with you, chipped ecu are just burned copies of programs and dont neccesarily work in my opinion, U at least need a vtec controller to adjust fuel (add/subtract) , I think the eric racing programs are a lot better because u can have them specified to your setup, as far as tuners in NYC, my friend up the block from me tunes supras, eclipse, hondas, rx-7, Listen u at the minuimun need a vtec controller,

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Hi i am an ass, who just likes to run my mouth and waste people's time..if i do not like certain forums, maybe i should just leave! I will think about that....

Guess who's edit this was???? You have 2 chioces, and i bet you will not need that much help....

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
actually chipping your own ecu is not oto far off from what hondata is doing. there are forums which i will not name for fear of being banned for advertising, but those forums are all about reprogramming honda ecu's wihtout using hondata. in fact they are able to do some things that hondata does not do such as operate the intake air bypass with a p28, and they have managed to do other things without adding on more than what already exists in the ecu.

·
Registered
3 Posts
v4lu3s said:
actually chipping your own ecu is not oto far off from what hondata is doing. there are forums which i will not name for fear of being banned for advertising, but those forums are all about reprogramming honda ecu's wihtout using hondata. in fact they are able to do some things that hondata does not do such as operate the intake air bypass with a p28, and they have managed to do other things without adding on more than what already exists in the ecu.

:tu: to what willie said...

blah!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
v4lu3s said:
I never said they could not do some things, but they can not do all and can not preform as well either.... IF this was the case then why would Erick's racing or other companies in the racing field use hondata and similar systems insted of chipping thier ecu...ahh you see, they need more options and better tuning devices(such as hondata) and a dyno, this is why i say that chipping is not near where hondata is...sure hondata burns a chip, but it gets into more grave detail then a simple chip can do...

·
Registered
127 Posts
TodaTeg,

There is only so much you can say to a person. If they are stuck on an idea/belief then there's not much you can do.

Just some info. Hondata is just a bunt chip. However, that program is buned after the car is tuned on a dyno. All the final setups are set to the program and then the ROM is put into action in the car.

The way its being propossed here is that you just burn a chip by making it richer/leaner and be done with it. The difference is, you are guessing. No matter how much you know about programming a chip, in the end, you are still guessing. Why? Because this is all street tuning. No hard evidence of how the car is running. No dyno.

So in the end, you are basically doing what a Hondata programer does, only that they know for a fact that the final program will work. And you are just guessing your programming based on whether or not its suppost to be richer/leaner.

And don't even get me started on using the Autometer A/F gauge as a refference point for telling you if you are running rich or lean.

You are better off with the stock ECU and VAFC. When you get your E-manage though, put it on a dyno and do your car a favor and dyno it. Then do some tuning.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
TodaTeg said:
I never said they could not do some things, but they can not do all and can not preform as well either.... IF this was the case then why would Erick's racing or other companies in the racing field use hondata and similar systems insted of chipping thier ecu...ahh you see, they need more options and better tuning devices(such as hondata) and a dyno, this is why i say that chipping is not near where hondata is...sure hondata burns a chip, but it gets into more grave detail then a simple chip can do...

you are not too aware of what is out there then.
i thought much the same but when i foudn these guys are out making effective turbo chips and producing their own software that does allows the fine tuning that hondata does i was very impressed.
i am not knccking hondata, but a person with a solid understanding of the tools they are using, and the right equipment can do everything they need without ever touching a hondata system. the advantage to hondata is you dont have to do it y ourself and learn the skills needed.

i am running a hondata s100
all that is is a burnt chip. if i put in some dyno time with my laptop and an eprom burner i would be able to retune my own chips without using the hondata tuned chip anymore. i look forwad to being able to do that.

as far as the statemetn about Erik Aguilar, he is racing for a living as a pro. He is not a hobbiest. For him it is not worth the investment of time to go and learn the intricacies of burning ones own chips. That is time he could spend better and more effectively doing other things. But a hobbiest who has more time and less money and the willingness to learn they can burn their own chips and have it be worthwhile. i would love to make my p28 have IAB control, traction control for launching and retune it (the last guy had a far more advanbced ignition curve than i like) and tune it all my self since i have access to a wideband equipped dyno for $10 a pull.
sure i may be slower than hondata....and i wont have a nice romulator, but i also would be $700-900 richer for that....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
v4lu3s said:

as far as the statemetn about Erik Aguilar, he is racing for a living as a pro. He is not a hobbiest. For him it is not worth the investment of time to go and learn the intricacies of burning ones own chips. That is time he could spend better and more effectively doing other things. But a hobbiest who has more time and less money and the willingness to learn they can burn their own chips and have it be worthwhile. i would love to make my p28 have IAB control, traction control for launching and retune it (the last guy had a far more advanbced ignition curve than i like) and tune it all my self since i have access to a wideband equipped dyno for $10 a pull.
sure i may be slower than hondata....and i wont have a nice romulator, but i also would be $700-900 richer for that....
Wrong!!!! He runs it because it is much better then buring chips, if you follwed them you would know(and this goes for any import racer, becasue most do not have really any good sponser backing) that you do everything you can yourself to save as much money as possible and i am sure that erick has so many damn connections that if he needed somebody to burn a chip for him and if it would be cheaper and preform as well as hondata i can bet you he would do, so woult many other people...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
v4lu3s said:

Wrong!!!! He runs it because it is much better then buring chips, if you follwed them you would know(and this goes for any import racer, becasue most do not have really any good sponser backing) that you do everything you can yourself to save as much money as possible and i am sure that erick has so many damn connections that if he needed somebody to burn a chip for him and if it would be cheaper and preform as well as hondata i can bet you he would do, so woult many other people...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.