Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which is generally better? i'm lookin to upgrade my stock brakes (rotors and pads only) with some aftermarket ones. and if anyone can suggest a good brand for rotors and pads, that'd be great. thanks.

· Registered
121 Posts
generally speaking, cross drilled rotors are much weaker than undrilled rotors and are more likely to crack under extreme use. they also have a smaller surface area than slotted rotors, but all the extra holes can help cool the rotor better. slotted rotors do not have as much of a reduction in surface area as the crossdrilled rotors and still vent the gases generated from rotor/pad friction, and they are more structurally sound... depends on your intended use whether you should stick w/ a solid rotor or go to either a slotted or cross drilled one.

· Registered
213 Posts
so what is the reason for upgrading your brakes?? unless you drive your car in a way where your stock brakes habitually overheats and fades (such as under road racing or autoxing conditions) there really would be no benefit in replacing your stock rotors with slotted/x-drilled ones (unless you are doing it for looks.) if your only goal is to be able to stop faster (and fading has not been an issue for you) then you will be better off spending your money on stickier tires (which will not only improve braking, but also acceleration and cornering). most aftermarket brakes are designed for racing conditions, meaning they need to be heated up to work properly. thus under everyday driving condtion, your braking distance may actually INCREASE from an aftermarket brake setup. my recommendation is if you are not racing your car, just replace your pads with aftermarket streetable ones, replace the rubber brake lines with steel-braided ones (more for feel than actual braking improvement), and get some stickier high performance tires.

· Registered
12,727 Posts
I would buy some good heat resistent pads........thats all you need for a good braking set up on a prelude.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.