Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I totaled my '94 "GS-R" Sedan yesterday, insurance will pay off my loan and give me around $6k i'm guessing.
I was able to work a deal w/ the towing company so I still have:

'98 Civic Type-R motor, tranny, axles
Comptech Intake w/ Ice Box (Integra Type-R set up)
Wilwood Big Brake Kit
Tenzo Rally Seats
Sparco 4-point harness w/ camlock
Momo Steering wheel
ADR Concept One 17" w/ Yokohama A520's
APEXi V-AFC and RSM
Spoon shift knob, etc, etc (dress up parts..)

I also have a (full) Zex Kit that was put in the car, not installed(as in just the bottle was sitting in there for the time being), but in, and was taken out before the accident, and my Skunk 2 Stage 3 cams and full valvetrain will be coming soon

Now I figure whatever I buy I want all these things to go in, plus I would like it to be a lightweight Honda, CRX's would be ok, but around Wisconsin they're rusty or overly priced (big time), plus my seats would be too wide and I could only kit one (I'd like to fit both), I've found some 92-95 style hatchbacks for around $3k

Then all I'd need really is a suspension set up, exhaust system, and maybe an intake set up if the Comptech one won't work

Again, this car will be for Auto-X, road race/touring, and some drag (that's what the ZEX is for)

Plus give input, opinions, and/or advice, it would be greatly appreciated, thanx

Later,

Jay

·
Registered
502 Posts
InsnImprtGuy said:

Again, this car will be for Auto-X, road race/touring, and some drag (that's what the ZEX is for)

If you mean "this car will be for 99% daily driving, and a little autocross, road racing, and drag," I think your setup should be fine and I would suggest that you pick up whatever good deal you can find locally in a shell. However, if you really mean that this car will just be for racing, I have a few concerns.

First of all, no setup will work well for all three types of racing you listed. You can compromise your setup to allow both road racing and autocross but you won't be optimum for either, and it certainly wouldn't be a good drag setup. Also, the zex kit for drag isn't legal for either autocross or road racing. You can't even have the bottle in the car even if you aren't using it.

Second, any swapped honda isn't going to be legal for road racing unless you happen to live near the ECHC region. Also, no program that I know of where hondas are competitive will allow the wilwood brake setup unless you're setting your sights on the Speed WC (and even then I'm unclear on the rules for brakes, but the swap and zex are out). As for autocross, the swap is legal for certain classes, but none that you would be competitive in unless your area doesn't have much competition in those classes. Nationally, it would be tough.

Finally, for road racing you would have to upgrade the harness and likely would want to replace the seats (I'm not sure if they have an FIA sticker).

Just some things to think about.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's more like this is my main daily driver during non-winter/good weather days, and on weekends i'll road-race or autocross and sometimes i'll go to some dragging

the bottle will only go in before the drags, otherwise it won't be in the car at all, i crashed the car at a driving school for road race, they had no problems w/ me running the Wilwoods nor the CTR motor

also, I ran the CTR at autocrosses w/out a problem, and my boss (who has a GS-R turbo, w/ full road race suspension and the Wilwood set up) goes to the auto-crosses and they let him run, what class, i don't remember

i will be doing auto-cross when there's not a road race event, and vise-vursa, i want a car that will get the best of both worlds, but not be "The Best" at only one, I compete to have fun and learn, winning's just a bonus to me

Later,

Jay

·
Registered
502 Posts
Are we actually talking road racing, or are we talking about driving around on the track during open track days? Certainly, the swap and the brakes are fine for open track days. If we're actually talking about road racing, what class were you running with those parts? Maybe I'm just forgetting one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts