Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, guys. I did a mini me swap on my 93 civic dx, with d15b7 block and d16z6 head and running it on p28 ecus...and everything runs great no problem what so ever!
so the problem is that, i took the car to the shop to do a pre-test (because i have to smog my car) and they said that i was running 200+ rich(to much fuel)

so what should i do:
1.should i put on the Dx ecu and re-smog to check it out
2.or put the dx head back on

another question:
would a d16z6 long block pass smog in a DX chassis.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is it possible to swap a d16z6 single head which is a ex or si engine into a a 93 civic dx, d15b7 single head, and get it to pass smog with out referee the car...what are the possibility of passing smog...

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
is it possible to swap a d16z6 single head which is a ex or si engine into a a 93 civic dx, d15b7 single head, and get it to pass smog with out referee the car...what are the possibility of passing smog...
just a head swap. or a whole motor. and any motor could pass smog if tuned properly and you have all of your smog equipment working properly on the car

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Surprised you got past the "look over" phase in California with a different head. Whoever that smog tech was was already giving you a break, because i've had a car with a swapped head and when they open the hood to check, he slammed it back down and said can't smog test it. If the fuel is running lean BECAUSE of the new head, then if you have a CARB Executive order number for that particular engine head, or the stock specs from whatever car it came out of, as well as a list of legal CARB mods for you car in general, they can pass it.

There's a lot of hoops to jump through to get a modified car past smog in California. Doing an entire engine swap is entirely CARB illegal, unless you have the emissions tested before the swap, and after and there is less than a 0.5% Difference between the two numbers, you can get a Sticker okaying it, and you're good to go.

You can also swap everything back to stock, just for the smog test, and put everything back on after,(not that you want to swap your engine every 2 years) but you still can be checked and cited by Cops and Highway Patrol if they see you leaving an auto meet or something, or if your car makes a lot of extra noise. California sucks.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the mini me d16z6 head wouldn't pass. I've tried it and it was running to rich. I even had everything stock on it too....good everthing...so i end up putting the dx head on and later did the whole d16z6 swap...

· Registered
10,346 Posts
its running rich because you are using a 1.6 ecu ona 1.5 block

the 1.5 ecu however, wont run safely due to the higher compression nad higehr flowing head

tune the car or swap the original head back on and leave it alone

or be smart and GTFO of california with their dumbass emissions laws that are tighter then a virgins ass

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.