Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was changing the oil in my brother 89 civic dx and welp i was taking out the oil filter, the oil got on the catalytic converter and smoke is coming from the engine after i drive it for a while. I believe the smoke is from the oil being burn from the catalytic converter but i am just making sure it is nothing big to worry about. So am i right about the smoke is come the oil on the cataltic converter?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Most likely. With the motor running look underneath and see where the smoke is coming from. If necessary have someone rev the motor a bit. If it's coming from somewhere else let us know.

This can also happen by over filling. If you use too much oil the excess will burn. Happened to me when I was a noob. Capacity is 3.7 quarts I put in four. Burned oil over 3000 rpms. Had to drain some out. :bash

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the smoke it coming from around the catalytic converter right under the intake madifold so i think it alrite. There was alot of oil that feel on the catalytic converter and the car was running fine before the oil change and none of my light on my dash came on so i think i be good to go. thanks for clearning my mind :sleep i can sleep now hahaha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts